First IPA weird after taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

george3819

Reaction score
Well I've been lurking in the shadows for several months and finally decided to brew my own beer. After much research I decided to brew a "generic ipa" for the beginner brewer. Bottling day was today and everything went with out a hitch, I tasted the beer one last time and weird aftertaste has developed. It's hard to describe the aftertaste but its at the very end of the beer. That is when you drink it, it has good hop aroma, good taste,but then it has a strong aftertaste. Like rubbing alcohol. Does anybody know what this is? TIA

Could be fusel alcohols. These can be caused by either high fermentation temps or stressing the yeast--for instance by under-pitching.

That said, give it time. It is green and flavors will improve. Also, carbonation rounds out flavors.

Congrats on first brew. You did it!

Fermentation temp was around 68 and the yeast was BRY-87. It is just weird to because it taste like a real beer. I hope it develops after carbonation. I'm probably over reacting but I just want a good beer.

Give it two weeks in the bottle and then give it a go. Did you hit your target gravity? 68 degrees is a bit on the cool side for an ale yeast but it should have been OK if you fermented to your target gravity.

Cheers mate. Congrats on your first brew!

Definitely let it sit in the bottles for a few more weeks. I have had this exact problem with a kit beer, time cures all ills. I'm no expert but I have learned to trust the "time" part of home brewing.
Curious which kit you used? you said generic IPA, just wondering which kit.

Give it two weeks in the bottle and then give it a go. Did you hit your target gravity? 68 degrees is a bit on the cool side for an ale yeast but it should have been OK if you fermented to your target gravity.

Cheers mate. Congrats on your first brew!

68*F beer temp (not air) is actually on the warmer end of the temp
range for the beginning of a typical ale yeast fermentation. Most of them do best if started around 63-64 and later finish at 68 or so.

Give that IPA 2-3 weeks to condition at room temp, a few days in the fridge, then come back and let us know what you're tasting. Enjoy!

image-2113704020.jpg

Update: I think I jumped the gun a little about the after taste. The beer has been carbonating in the bottle for about two and a half weeks and I opened one today. It was pretty good, I am proud of myself. Thanks for all the support. Here's to many more home brews to come. Cheers

Latest posts

Back