First IPA Recipe Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImpendingDisaster

Reaction score
Finally decided to make a hoppy beer. I'm fairly new at making recipes up and after some snooping around online, I came up with the recipe below based on what I have available at home. Any advice, corrections, warnings and mockery will be gratefully received.
This is the first brew I'll make that's over 1.058 OG, and I've never dry hopped before. I will be doing this BIAB.

4.75 Kg 2Row 76.6%
1 Kg Munich 16.1%
.45 Kg Amber 7.3 %

40 gr. Simcoe (11%) 60 minute
30 gr. Amarillo (7.8%) 20 minute
30 gr. Amarillo (7.8 %) Flameout
1 pack US-05 (should I shell out for another?)
30 gr. Amarillo dry hopped 4 days.
(all the hops are pellets)
I have a variety of other hops I could throw in but I'd lie to keep it fairly simple. I like citrusy hop flavours but I'm not too big on a lot of pine (a bit is good, though).

Beer Smith says my 20 litre batch should get to 1.068 OG @ 72% Efficiency and have 68.3 IBU.

Does anything look out of line here? Anything un-IPAish?
Not sure for the mash temperature. Somehow 66* C (151* F) came to mind but I hardly have the experience to know if this is advisable.

I don't use a secondary but is one advisable for dry hopping?

Thanks for any advice or help!

People have different styles of dry hopping, but for myself, I've learned from experience that a hop bag in the secondary is the cleanest and most preferable way.

If it were me I would cut the 60 minute addition in half and then double the later additions with centennial and cascade, if you're going for a citrusy IPA. It's all up to personal preference about mash temp - do you like your IPAs dry? Then mash low and add sugar. Like them with a bit of sweetness (like me)? Mash in the mid 150s and add a few oz of honey malt. The recipe you have will work fine, it all depends on how much hop flavour and aroma you want in the finished product.

Also, I have dry hopped in primary and secondary and I haven't found a real difference between the two.

I'm with Yooper on the amber. I once made a half batch of her Dogfish clone but accidentally forgot to half the amber malt, so instead of around 3% I used 6%. It came out very dry. Amber is sort of like victory on steroids to me. I have used it in higher quantities in beers that had a good amount of crystal and other things to balance it out, but I think it may seem too strong in this.

Thanks! I will cut the amber down to ca. 3%. Except for on more packet of the yeast, this is going to be a Buy Nothing brew, so adding Honey Malt is out for a bit of sweetness is out, but I might try a mid 150*s mash. I will rethink the hops. I do have some centential and some homegrown Cascade someone gave me.

Back