First IPA.... Posible Clone Rebel IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casualbrewer

Reaction score
Thinking about making an IPA. I have never made this style before as I don't particularly care for it. However, I have had a couple recent IPA's that I do like. Bells Two Hearted IPA is delicious and so is Sam Adams Rebel IPA. They don't have that deep piney, resinous, pine taste that I don't care for. Since Sam adams pretty much tells you exactly what they put in their beer I am trying to do a clone of sorts. Below is my attempt to clone a recipe based on what Sam Adams posts on their website...

Yeast:
US-05 or some other clean ale yeast

Grain:
12.5lbs of 2 Row
1 lb of C60

Hops:
.5 Chinook @ 20 minutes
.5 Simcoe @ 15 minutes
1.0 Centennial @ 10 minutes
1.0 Cascade @ 5 minutes
1.0 Amarillo @ 5 minutes

Again, I have never made an IPA and don't usually care for it but this is a good beer. Very flavorful and not bitter at all. A lot of floral and citrus on my palette. Please if anything stands out, let me know.

Sounds good. If you aren't a fan of that pine flavor make sure you use west coast style hops and hops with a lower alpha acid so you get more of the aroma rather than the higher IBU

I was just going off what they list on the packaging and website for hops. I just guesses at amounts and timing using a calculator

For a 5 gallon batch I would use this. I looked up a few different clone recipes and they all seem pretty universal with their hops and boil times.

1.5 ozCascade60 min
0.5 ozSimcoe30 min
0.5 ozChinook20 min
0.5 ozCentennial5 min
0.5 ozAmarillo1 min

Latest posts

Back