First hop bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scuba_Steve81

Reaction score
This last brew I used a hop bag for the first time. Prior I just threw them into the kettle. The bag was handmade from a scrap piece if voile, leftover from my BIAB bag.

When I threw them directly into the kettle, they seemed to completely dissolve. Mind you, I am sure they ended up as trub in the bottom of the kettle.

In the bag, they didn't seem to lose any real volume. In fact the bag appeared larger than it was before I threw it in. Although this could just be an illusion.

So is this normal, or did I use a material with pore sizes that were way too small?

I use a hop sock and squeeze all the stuck wort and hoppy goodness out of it at the end of the boil using heat sensitive gloves. No need to sanitize them if you're temp is above 180.

Thanks for the sanity check!

I didn't squeeze it by hand, but I did mash it against the side of the pot with my stirrer every time I stirred.

Back