First high gravity brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ctforte

Reaction score
Hey new to HBT and was looking for some advice. Making a belgian pumpkin tripple and im trying to find the best time to rack into secondary. I waited about 3 weeks in primary which was yesterday and I thought I was ready to rack but when I opened the lid there was a thick later of damp crust. I thought all the kruasen would have sank by now. And this doesn't look like krausen either. So my question is should I wait longer to rack or rack with the layer still on top?
Thanks in advance Chris

I said in the other post that I couldn't answer you, but here I am again ...

What's the gravity? If fermentation is completed, you can always rack the beer out from underneath.

How did you add the pumpkin? Is this a layer of pumpkin gunk? Taste your hydrometer sample (you are going to test the gravity, right?). Do you like where it's at? If you want more pumpkin flavor, leave it be. You could even use a sanitized teaspoon to scoop yourself a sample of the gunk, which might help you decide "should I stay or should I go?"

Cheers!

Hello again

I did test the gravity. As of yesterday it was 1.015. That looked great but was unsure about that top layer.

The way I added the pumpkin was: first i put a whole can of pumpkin on a cookie sheet and let bake for 45 min at 350. Then boiled up a pot of water and slowly added the pumpkin. Let cool and add to primary. I did all that about 1 week ago

Why are there so many copies of this thread? Go read my response in the one I replied to, it's the right answer :D

Latest posts

Back