First HB Comp Feedback questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammy86

Still thirsty
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I entered my first homebrew comp Malt Madness down in PA...got 3rd place in category on German Pilsner which I'm happy about average score was 32.5 so I'm happy with that.

My disappointment lies in the feedback I got on my American Wheat beer entry. Average score was a 28 and as you can see from the pictures on my scoresheet both judges detected a Carmel flavor...my problem is I didn't have any Carmel malts in it.

My recipe is as follows:

6 lbs Red Wheat
4 lbs. MO
1 lb Caravienne

Hops were all Amarillo and S-04 Yeast.

My question is based on the recipe and hops what could have imparted a Carmel flavor to my beer?

Any help would be great!

Also, if this doesn't belong in this forum please move it to where it should go!

Thanks in advance!

Sammy

View attachment IMG_5042.jpg

View attachment IMG_5041.jpg

you have about 10% caravienna which is a type of crystal/caramel malt.

caramel flavor can come from oxidation too, but it is probably the caravienna.

American wheat is tough because some judges want a malty beer while others want a drier version. Some want hops and other don't.

I see you have s-04 yeast which I used to use for my wheat beers but some judges pick up a slight tartness so I switched to S-05.

edit: also some judges want it cloudy and other clear, but as that only 3 points for appreance it is less important

Last edited:
Thank you both for the replies...obviously I didn't do my research and followed a recipe and didn't ask enough questions...next time I think I'll stick with my tried and true American Wheat recipe and see how I do

Back