First Gose, questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CUSTOM-441

Robobrew v3.1 35L
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Going to try my hand at brewing a Gose soon and will be using this recipe: Breakin' the Law Gose Recipe :: Great Fermentations

I've done a bunch of reading and have noticed that there's two camps between using acidulated malt in the mash after conversion (as per the above recipe), and using lactic acid. A few questions to get me started...

- Acid malt or lactic acid, which is better and/or easier?
- Do I have to worry about contaminating my brewery equipment making this style of beer? If so, what parts and what should I be aware of?
- Any yeast recommendations? The recipe makes a bunch of recommendations, and seems to leave the door wide open...

Cheers!

I use both. One pound of acid malt. Use two ounces in the mash and then use the other 14 ounces 45 minutes into the mash.

Use salt and lactic when kegging.

I had no issues with infecting my equipmen.

I use Imperials Dieter.

i just made one this past Sunday.

I used 2.5 oz. of lactic acid in a 5-gallon gose that I just bottled. I did taste-testing with 0.5 oz. increment additions while it was in the bottling bucket. It definitely has a good sourness/puckeryness, but it does not completely over-dominate the taste of the beer. My recipe also had some brewer's salt, cracked coriander, and sweet orange peel. I did not use any acid malt.

Back