First few poors from the keg are full of sediment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hastein

Reaction score
I've kegged a couple of really good beers so far, but each time the first 4-5 poors are really cloudy. Their is also a strong "sedimenty" taste to it. How can prevent this so the first poors are as clear as the rest?

Thanks

I started racking a little more carefully into my kegs when I got tired of this same issue and now usually only toss about 3 4 oz pours that I do over a few hours.

If you really want it totally clear from the beginning then you'll probably have to filter.

The first pint or two will have some crud in it when you chill the keg down and everything drops out. Even if the yeast have flocculated in the primary and the beer looks clear there are still tons in suspension that you can't see. They will drop to the bottom of your keg once you throw it in the kegerator.

How long are you waiting from when you keg until your first pour? If you are only waiting a few days then everything probably hasn't dropped out so it's going to continue to have crud for a longer time. This is especially true if you dry hop since hop particles will get into your keg when you rack.

Cold crash your fermenter, try some gelatin for a few days once the beer is cold, then transfer carefully to your fermenter. Sounds like you are racking too much crap to your keg. Clear beer takes time and cold, careful racking and gelatin will really help as well!

wilserbrewer said:
Cold crash your fermenter, try some gelatin for a few days once the beer is cold, then transfer carefully to your fermenter. Sounds like you are racking too much crap to your keg. Clear beer takes time and cold, careful racking and gelatin will really help as well!

+1. And even then you will still get some crap in your first pour, but you will be good to go after that.

That is why they are called poors.

After the sediment is gone, they become pours. ;)

lol woops...and I typo'd the title, too.

Ok I will try cold crashing before I keg. I probably do get too much sediment trying to get every last drop out of the carboy. I will be more careful with that part, as well.

Back