First Extract Recipe Suggestion? Stouts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

withoutink

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm looking for a rather reliable recipe, for my foray into home brewing.

I am placing an order for my custom equipment kit. Now I want to get some recipe together. If not. I'll grab a pre made kit from Northern Brewer or something.

But it was suggested, that I ask for a suggestion for something better.

I love dark beers, stouts, coffee, chocolate, vanilla, cherry, spicy. Complex profiles are my favorites.

Granted I may not be able to undertake something like that to start, I figured I'd ask.

So extract based with some steeping grains is fine with me. As long as it isn't too difficult to create.

Any suggestions? ThAnks in advance.

Cheers,

Matt

Well, the good news is that a nice medium gravity stout (4-6% ABV) is an excellent starting batch. If you have minor flaws, they won't be as noticeable as in something light, pale, and simple.

Never brewed this one, but looks like it might be a good bet: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/dark-cherry-stout-extract-kit.html

It comes by default with dry yeast, which I'd stick with for now.

I would highly recomended the northern brewer rye stout.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Style: Foreign Extra Stout
Batch size: 5.0 gal
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.012
Bitterness (IBU): 68.7
Color (SRM): 39.5
ABV: 4.9%

Grain/Sugars:

6.00 lb Amber LME, 75.0%
0.50 lb Roasted Barley, 6.2%
0.50 lb Crystal 60L, 6.2%
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (British), 6.2%
0.50 lb Briess Extra Special Roast, 6.2%

Hops:

1.00 oz Nugget (AA 13.9%, Pellet) 60 min, 48.2 IBU
1.00 oz Cluster (AA 7.7%, Pellet) 30 min, 20.5 IBU

Yeast/Misc:

Irish Ale yeast, 1.0 unit(s), Yeast
Irish Moss, 1.0 unit(s), Fining , boil 15 min

-----
Here's my own stout recipe. Actually it's the first recipe I ever made. It creates a slightly sweet, toasty, bitter stout with a little bit of raisen/prune flavor in the background.

Looks like a good recipe, but you might want to stick to a dry yeast for your first brew, instead of the liquid Irish Ale Yeast. S-04, Windsor, US-05, or Nottingham should do a fine job for a stout.

The main thing I'd recommend is to look for a recipe with an OG (Original Gravity) of 1.055 or lower - higher than that, and you'll really need more than a single packet of dry yeast to ferment it adequately. Liquid yeasts don't have as many cells as dry yeast, so you really need a starter in order to use them properly except for small batches or low-gravity beers.

Thanks for the replies thus far. I was trolling through the recipe database and stumbled upon this.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/none-more-black-vanilla-stout-96969/

Is this something one could attempt as their first brew? It sure sounds delicious. Just unsure if a total newbie should take a swing at it

Thoughts?

It looks fine to me, although the vanilla extract isn't what I'd choose. Also, the recipe posted above looks good. And a good solid kit would be a good choice also.

Awesome to know. Thanks, so instead of: 1 White Labs Irish Ale Yeast

I should get one of these yeasts: S-04, Windsor, US-05, or Nottingham, I suspect they just come in a packet? It just says 1 on the original recipe, so I am not sure what one refers to exactly.

Also, in regards to the extract. I make my own vanilla extract at home.. So I was thinking of using a bit of extract (aged 6 months or more) plus a couple pods of vanilla. Any other suggestions?

I am going to try and source the ingredients today.

Awesome to know. Thanks, so instead of: 1 White Labs Irish Ale Yeast

I should get one of these yeasts: S-04, Windsor, US-05, or Nottingham, I suspect they just come in a packet? It just says 1 on the original recipe, so I am not sure what one refers to exactly.

Also, in regards to the extract. I make my own vanilla extract at home.. So I was thinking of using a bit of extract (aged 6 months or more) plus a couple pods of vanilla. Any other suggestions?

I am going to try and source the ingredients today.

US-05 and Nottinghan will give a drier, more attenuated beer.
04 will yield a more English style with esters, but still dry. Windsor will yield a less dry, less attenuated English style.

One packet of any of them will be fine, rehydrate them in a cup of water an hour or so before pitching.

Don't want to start a flamewar in here about pitching rates, but Wyeast and White Labs have about the same number of cells in their packages.

Regardless, it's summertime, and shipping liquid yeast is a bad idea - so I'd stick with dry yeast, unless you have a LHBS where you can get fresh liquid yeast that you can be sure hasn't been sitting in the hot sun in a Fedex truck somewhere.

Latest posts

Back