First experience with an infected batch - buy new fermentation bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leonie Hill

Reaction score
Hi

Over the weekend I experienced my first infected batch. It was an awful experience. The wort stank and the surface was full of nasty looking stuff.

I put a lot of effort into cleaning all my equipment and sanitise it thoroughly, but something obviously went wrong.

The fermentation vessel which I use is made of plastic. I’ve probably done approx 15 to 20 brews in it.

I can’t wash the smell of the infected batch away - no matter how hard I try. I use standard PBW, but it does not do the job.

I worry that my next batch will get infected as well. Any tips for how to clean the plastic bucket or shall I just buy a new?

I live in Singapore hence I ferment in a small wine fridge. The fridge is too small to accommodate one the stainless steel vessels currently on the market.

cheers,
The happy Brewer

Hot PBW soak at least 24 hours is a good plan, followed by a water rinse, acid rinse, and another water rinse.

Putting it out in the sun might help remove the odor.

Not sure what the cost of a food safe bucket is in Singapore, but in the US it is much less expensive than the cost of the ingredients for a new batch. I would definitely get a new one, and use the old one for storage or something else.

Baking soda + Vinegar is good for removing smells.

But 6 gallon fermenting buckets are my local HBS + drilled + spigot is like, $13 or whatever.

They say when using plastic that you should replace it every so often. It may be just time to replace it and use it as a grain bucket for milling or a storage bucket.

Back