First ever Christmas beer - please critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smp501

Reaction score
So, this will be my fourth brew ever and my first Christmas ale. I'm aiming for a Belgian-style with a good "Christmas" feel to it. Here's what I've come up with:

6.625# Extra-light DME
1# Orange blossom honey (locally made)
.375# (6 oz) Crystal 120L
.625# (10 oz) Crystal 40L
.25# (4 oz) Roasted Barley

1.0 oz Hallertaur (3.2%) - 60 min
0.5 oz East Kent Golding (7.2%) - 45 min
1.0 oz Saaz (3.5%) - 15 min

Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey, 2 quart starter with 6 oz DME (never done a starter before, either.)

Estimated OG: 1.065
IBU: 27
SRM: 17

Also add Irish moss at 15 min and 1.0 oz Sweet orange peel at flameout.
Primary for 2 weeks, Secondary for 2 weeks, both at 68F (best I can do).
I like adding the DME late, so I'd start with ~1# at the beginning.
Steep the specialty grains at 155F for 30 minutes, add the rest of the DME at 15 min. and honey at flameout.

I have the crystal malt, roasted barley, and EKG hops left over from an Irish red. I LOVE Saaz-hopped beers, and apparently it works with Belgian beers, but I have never brewed with it before. Does this look like it will turn out alright? Is there any tweaking y'all would recommend with the spices (e.g. too much/too little or missing something)?

Looks like a nice drinkable beer. Are leaning towards a Belgian style Christmas Ale? Guessing that by the yeast. 5 gal batch? What you may consider is thinking about the base beer you want and addign the spice/fruit flavors you want to add. Lets say you want a Belgian Triple "like" beer with some orange and spice added? If so find a Belgian Triple recipe, add your orange addition, perhaps consider adding .25tsp each of nutmeg & all spice, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp powdered ginger & 1 tsp vanilla extract. Just one possible direction. I was talking to a guy that uses white pine needles to add in some evergreen (Christmas tree) to the beer. No matter what you do good luck with your Christmas Ale.

Thanks! I'm roughly basing this on Chimay red, but subbing honey for candy and keeping everything extract-friendly (I intend to learn to partial mash for my next brew). According to Qbrew, the numbers roughly match up.

Also, should I steep the orange peel and cinnamon sticks or just drop them in?

I would add at end of boil. If you finish your beer and find its not strong enough of a flavor, then use vodka to extract and add in bottling bucket to taste (key is to taste as you can add but its hard to take away :)

Merry Christmas BTW

What about the Xmas type spices. Cloves, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, juniper berries, etc. you may want to think about adding some of those at the 5-2 min mark before flame out. These are typical additions in my Xmas style brews. I made a pumpkin ale last nite. Wow. The house smelled great ;)

Alright, I made it and it smelled great! I ended up using 1.5# of honey instead of 1 and I got an OG of 1.068 (good thing I made the half gallon starter!). I think this ought to turn out really good, and I'll give feedback when it's ready. Thanks everyone!

Back