First ever brew... a Mead story

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cptn_Aizen

Reaction score
This first ever brew of my life is started 6/5/13, and will be a dry honey mead. I thought about adding spices and fruits and such, but I feared fscking up a long term project. So sticking to the basics here, and they are...

Sanitizing:
3 gallon stock pot full of tap water + .25 cup bleach. put everyone in the pool and soak for 15 mins. rinse under tap and air dry.
pour bleach solution into 3 gallon glass carboy and swish for 10 mins. rinse and air dry.

Ingredients:
5 lb orange blossom honey
2 gallons bottled spring water (crystal geyser)
4 Campden tablets
2 tsp yeast nutrient
2 tsp acid blend
1/4 tsp tannin

Yeast starter:
2 cups bottled spring water
2 packages champagne yeast
5 Tblsp honey
1/4 tsp yeast nutrient

Directions:
  • Simmer 2 gallons water, then add 5 lb honey and stir until dissolved.
  • Let cool to room temp.
  • Rack into carboy
  • Add 2 crushed Campden tablets, and let sit for 12 hours.
  • cover with double plastic wrap

After 12 hours make yeast starter:
  • Boil water, then add honey. stir to dissolve
  • Let cool to room temp.
  • Add yeast, and yeast food
  • Cover with plastic wrap until foamy. 1-3 hours

• Add yeast starter and rest of ingredients to carboy.
  • Shake to dissolve, then attach air lock and leave for 48 hours.
  • Stir or shake daily for 1 week
  • Rack the carboy into another and store for 6mo with airlock

When ready to bottle, add the other 2 campden tabs for 12 hours.
Sanitise bottles, fill and enjoy!

Ok, so I racked off the sediment after 3 weeks. But it tastes and smells like a chemistry set!! (Also my 2 batches of apple cider, after 10 days)... is this normal?

It's gross!

I haven't yet made a batch of mead before (that should be changing in the next couple of months), however I wouldn't be concerned about off flavors when you are only 2 weeks into a 6-month fermentation. With as many changes in flavor profile that occur during a standard fermentation of beer, I can't help but expect that would extend into meads and other fermented beverages. I sampled my saison at the 1-week point during fermentation and nearly threw up. 3 weeks later, it was amazing. I would continue sampling at the different steps along the way to monitor the progress, but otherwise sit back and let those yeast cells go to work.

Cptn_Aizen said:
Ok, so I racked off the sediment after 3 weeks. But it tastes and smells like a chemistry set!! (Also my 2 batches of apple cider, after 10 days)... is this normal?

It's gross!

Young mead will generally taste, for lack of better words, absolutely horrible. Especially if you let it go completely dry, since sweetness usually helps cover the tastes. Also 2 packages of yeast for a 3 gallon batch is overpitching quite a bit. One package of dry yeast is usually good for 5 gallons. Also, one of the biggest influences I have found so far with mead ferments is temperature control. If it gets too hot, I find that the off flavors shine through more early on.

Give this some time in the carboy. General rule of thumb is one month aging per % ABV. Also, make sure you do not leave a lot of headspace. 5 pounds of honey and 2 gallons of water would equate to only about 2 1/2 gallons total, not including any losses from racking. Mead is definitely more resilient against oxidation, but it still will if you bulk age with too much air.

Back