First decoction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marc1138

Reaction score
So I did my first decoction back in December. It was Edwort's hefeweizen recipe except I subbed 1 lb of the pilsner for a pound of munich. Which I've done in the past several times. I ended up doing 2 decoctions to get to my sac temp (152* F) after a 20 min rest at 130* or so. It was fermented at 68* F with an 800l starter of wlp300.

Here's where it gets interesting. Its been in the keg, untouched, since the first week of January but it hasn't lost any of its distinct yeast flavor, is still cloudy as heck and tastes closer to an imported German hefe than any hefeweizen I've ever brewed. And I've probably brewed 40 or so batches of Edwort hefe easily.

Im not sure if it was the decoction or the fact that I've only been drinking one or 2 beers a week for the past few months or even the time in the keg but it is almost dead nuts flavor-wise to a Franziskaner.

Just thought I'd share for anyone who loves a good hefeweizen. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back