First crush with MM2 - opinions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fubar32

Reaction score
Just tested out my new MM2 for the first time with a few pounds of the cheapest grain they had at the LHBS. The gap seems to be about .032 or so. It took a little fussing to get the idler roller to spin freely, and I had to run the drill a bit faster than I thought to get things moving. Opinions on the crush?

Thanks,
- mike

20130825_110206-60854.jpg

20130825_110211-60855.jpg

Looks pretty good to me. The real way to know is brew a batch test efficiency, lauterabilty and taste.

I agree that it looks good. Take a handful and pick through it. You should not find many intact grain kernels. If you do, tighten it up a little.

Thanks, all. The input is appreciated. First all-grain batch planned for Sunday, so fingers crosses.

-mike

Looks good and just like what I get from my fairly new MM2. First I had adjusted the gap to 0.035", which was still a bit coarse. I'm probably closer to 0.030" now. For wheat and rye I set the mill even a bit finer, (Thin American Express junk mail cards) because of the smaller grains.

It's difficult to gauge the exact gap, and it varies among mill brands, or even production batches. The space in between the knurls is much wider than where we can actually measure, which is between the tops of the knurls. The knurls on the Monster mills are very sharp and well defined, which is what it should be IMO. I've seen some other mills having a much lower knurl profile, some with knocked off tops. So 0.035" between the knurl tops will likely yields different milling results from different brand mills.

I don't like it when people are product loyal, but if it's just us monster people in here. I like my MM it looks just like new and I've had thousands of pounds of grain through it. I don't oil or clean it in any way, it just works and works. I think largely people break their mills by doing things like oiling them, then the oil get's filled with dust ect... Enjoy your new mill and the cost saving it brings with buying grain in group buy's.

Latest posts

Back