First comp ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just-a-sip

Reaction score
So participated in my first comp ever this weekend and took 3rd in porters with what was left of the very first beer ive ever brewed 8 months ago. And I BIAB brew... now to tweak and get 1st with it.

Congratulations. I see your from Clarksville. I entered an APA and a IPA in the MCBO (first comp also) but did not place. I am just glad to get some feed back on my beer though so I can improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Wow, a 3rd place with your first beer ever? That is downright impressive! I took medals on the first two beers I entered, however, they were batches 18 and 20 or something like that.

Cheers and well done!

I entered a vienna lager, sour saison, and APA into the competition. Nothing placed, but I am looking forward to seeing the score cards.

I did not, it wasn't quite as exotic as that, mine was a beer soured with lacto brevis prior to pitching 37111 saison yeast. SG 1.044 FG 1.006, around 30% rye, the rest was MO. Just a simple sessionable sour beer.

Why do you ask? I did enter it into belgian specificity, 16F isnt that?

I asked because the raspberry saison was way out of category so didnt score well, but in my opinipn haf it been entered into fruit lambic it may have medaled. But ifnit wasn't u then the brewer will read the results

So participated in my first comp ever this weekend and took 3rd in porters with what was left of the very first beer ive ever brewed 8 months ago. And I BIAB brew... now to tweak and get 1st with it.

Congrats:mug:..im gonna start comp brewing soon once i get a better grip on water chemistry

I didnt do anything to my water other then carbon filter

Yeah im sure you can do well without adjusting water chemistry ( you did congrats btw) but i would rather have every single variable dialed in before i entered comps..but hey thats just me

Yeah im sure you can do well without adjusting water chemistry ( you did congrats btw) but i would rather have every single variable dialed in before i entered comps..but hey thats just me

I would argue that the comps and the reviews of the judges can help the dial In process.

Excellent! I judged and competed in a competition this weekend myself. I hope my comments and tips help the other brewers improve their craft.

Can anyone see their scores on the website? I have noticed that a score field has popped up on my entries, but it has no number in it.

Back