First cider - trial run question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n240sxguy

Reaction score
I'm thinking about trying my hand with cider for the first time. Before I go buy a bunch of cider that I'm not going to like, and subsequently dump down the drain, I want to try a small cheaper batch. I have some muntons dry yeast that came with a kit I bought some liquid yeast with, and I was wondering if I could use that with some store-bought cider for a test run? I would like to have sparkling sweet cider, but I'm not going to risk the bombs to get it. I want to try a small batch to see if I like it still and dry. Anyone ever used this yeast to make cider? If I like it, I'll get some orchard cider, and one of the recommended yeasts.

I haven't used Munton's, but I question the logic of using one particular yeast and one particular sweet cider to decide if you like the hard cider you produce enough to then make more with a completely different yeast and a completely different sweet cider.

if you're not going to risk the bombs for sweet sparkling, then you'll either have to stabilize and keg your larger batch, or scratch that idea completely - cider is quite difficult to get to that stage. all cider will ferment dry unless you use unfermentable sugars.

Havn't used the yeast, but be sure to give it time to bring out the flavour. I'd still suggest carbonating as 1 gallon is easy to bottle and carbonated dry cider is amazing!

Yes, not the best logic. I like things to be economical. Best bang for your buck. My reasoning for this experiment is just to see if I even like the dry cider. I didnt know how good sparkling dry cider would be. Kinda like champagne I guess? Just not as sweet? I looked over the cider website. If I like it dry, I may cold crash some to have it sweet and sparkling, then bottle the rest dry and sparkling.

With proper treatment u can also have sweet and still, just use camdon and sulphite when done fermenting then backsweeten. or u can have sweet and carbed by pasteurizing. I like my cider at around 1.012 on the hydrometor with a nice carbonation fizz. I keg mine.

I think the best cider needs a good 6 months or better aging. My cider from last fall is just now coming into fine form. So quit procrastinating and get fermentin.

I know. I could bypass most of my concerns with making sweet sparkling cider if I kegged. One day. One day I will be kegging! Just not too soon. :(

Back