First cider attempt(s)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TGFV

Reaction score
Hey all, doing my first batches of cider tomorrow and thursday. Planning on making two different recipies to see which of them I like more and then experimenting and perfecting from there.

Recipe 1:
22L apple juice
1lb dextrose
Nottingham ale yeast

Recipe 2:
22L apple juice
2lb dextrose
Ec-1118

The first recipe is going to be a lower ABV cider while the second is essentially edworts Apfelwein.

I had two quick questions though.

For recipe 1, I am currently on the fence about the added dextrose. Just curious about how it would effect the recipe other than a slightet higher ABV and fermenting time.

Also for both of the recipies, what would be the best way to bottle carb them? I am assuming wait for fermentaion to stop and then add priming sugar? What would the respective gravities need to be to avoid over carbing?

More sugar can make a faster or more active ferment which blows off flavors.

I started with EC-1118 and one pound sugar per gallon. Then went to one cup per gallon. Now I use Ale yeast and no added sugar. I still get a 6-7% cider.

More sugar can make a faster or more active ferment which blows off flavors.

I started with EC-1118 and one pound sugar per gallon. Then went to one cup per gallon. Now I use Ale yeast and no added sugar. I still get a 6-7% cider.

Like MarkKF, I started with sugars and slowly stopped adding them. I enjoy the flavors of the ciders without added sugar. Both of those ciders will taste good, but will be very different. EC1118 will be more dry like champagne, and the notty will make it more residually sweet.

Also for both of the recipes, what would be the best way to bottle carb them? I am assuming wait for fermentation to stop and then add priming sugar? What would the respective gravities need to be to avoid over carbing?

I No longer bottle carb, However I have in the past, you must ensure the ferment is done. SG no change for at least a week or more.

I believe both these yeasts should go pretty dry. Pretty close to 1.000+- a bit. Then clarify and add priming sugar, open one a week until you are satisfied with the carbonation, refrigerate and enjoy after you get there.

Temperature is key cool 60 - 65 or so but not cold is better, If uneasy keep them in a sealed plastic container / Bin. With Juice i never blew one up but went through them pretty quickly after refrigerating.:)

Thanks for the replies!

I ended up cutting out the sugar for the recipies. Was thinking of possibly adding it to the second recipe later on to make it a higher abv wine style since it will already be dry, but we will see after this batch how we feel.

For the bottling, you mention to put them all inn the fridge? Is this because the residual yeast will eventually eat all the sugar and cause higher than desirable carbonation? Or just because it is drinkable then so best served cold? (asking since we may not have room in the fridge for 46L of cider at once lol)

I ended up cutting out the sugar for the recipies. Was thinking of possibly adding it to the second recipe later on to make it a higher abv wine style since it will already be dry, but we will see after this batch how we feel.

EC-1118 will dry the bless out of cider unless you add a LOT of sugar.
When you add a LOT of sugar, you NEED to ferment cooler to prevent feusel acohols from being dominant. It's a great yeast that my staple cider recipe uses. But if you are shooting for a low ABV cider (anything under 10% ABV) then it's not the one to use.That is unless you like bone dry ciders. If that's the case, then by all means use it.

On a side note...i personally dislike ciders made with corn sugar.
I much preffer regular table sugar.
(but we all know that taste prefference is subjective)

Last edited:
Got the first batch with the Nottingham done and fermenting!

As for the second one Paps, with the EC-118, how much additional sugar do you recommend? Edworts Apfelwein (the basis for that recipe) uses 2lbs for 5 gal, would that be a good amount to use or would higher be better so that there is still some sweetness left when the abv hit a the yeasts limit (if that is even really possible).

tmp_16395-20170307_095802-2063080301.jpg

Thanks for the replies!

For the bottling, you mention to put them all inn the fridge? Is this because the residual yeast will eventually eat all the sugar and cause higher than desirable carbonation? Or just because it is drinkable then so best served cold? (asking since we may not have room in the fridge for 46L of cider at once lol)

Yes the yeast will consume some of the residual sugar, likely not all of it. The cold will virtually stop the yeast from eating any more residual sugar once your desired carbonation is achieved. I say virtually as it will not entirely stop the process but slow it to the point you will never know the difference. If you don't slow or stop the yeast AND if there is available sugar you certainly could over carb your cider.

Paps is correct the 1118 will very likely already have consumed all of your available sugars so not much of a concern for that yeast. Again the best way to know is to check with a hydrometer and then determine if you have enough residual sugar to either cut back on the priming sugar or need to add additional sugar to get your desired carbonation. There are calculators out there to help determine how much to add.

About 1/3 the way through the thread and have decided I am going to be using your recipe for the ec-118 yeast batch for sure if those are the results everyone has been getting from it. Thanks is for that Paps

Latest posts

Back