First Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taxman

Reaction score
I completed by first brew last Friday, ABS Bavarian Hefe, and I just remembered after reading another post, that I may have screwed up and topped of my fermenter with cold,filtered water out of my fridge. It has already went thru a pretty good ferment and the air bubbles have slowed. Should I just wait a couple weeks to look at it? Could it be infected already? I am fermenting at an ambient temp of 61. Will it be ok? Man, this is a great site. I guess I just had a brief brain fart.

Relax! Your fridge water is probably pretty clean, and even if it weren't, the yeast take over pretty quick and make it inhospitable for anything else. 99.9% sure you'll be just fine. I would take a gravity reading this Friday, so after 1 week. I'd also bump your temps up once activity slows to keep the yeast awake to help condition your beer, maybe to upper 60's or even 70.

I guess you are concerned about topping off with filtered water? If that is the case then I would say everything is fine. I'm not sure about your fermentation temp but as long as it is in the temp range for that yeast then you should be fine. Congrats on your first home brew!

Thanks for the replies. I guess I am just overconcerned about sanitation. So, I may need to raise my ferm temp a few degrees? I am trying to keep the banana esthers down and maintain the clove taste at the lower temp. Thanks again.

Right, so you're already at 4 days, so initial active fermentation is probably done, or close to done. Give it a few more days then you can bump your temps up with no risk of bananas.

Back