First brew, worried about lack of bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankerzc

Reaction score
Howdy,

I attempted my first time brewing from a Northern Brewer gallon kit, which I feel like the wort stages went well. I am worried about yeast that I pitched. It has been 38 hours now and there is no visual activity.

IMG_1904 (1).JPG

I have it fermenting in a bathroom which is out of direct sunlight and within 65-72degrees.

Curious if this can be expected from dry yeast, etc.

Thanks!

Howdy,

I attempted my first time brewing from a Northern Brewer gallon kit, which I feel like the wort stages went well. I am worried about yeast that I pitched. It has been 38 hours now and there is no visual activity.

View attachment 653192

I have it fermenting in a bathroom which is out of direct sunlight and within 65-72degrees.

Curious if this can be expected from dry yeast, etc.

Thanks!

Did you cool the wort before pitching the yeast? Also, what type of yeast was it?

Did you cool the wort before pitching the yeast? Also, what type of yeast was it?

I did an ice bath for the wort in a cooler for 20 minutes, but I didn’t think to check the temperature (next time I will). As for the type of yeast I cannot speak to that as it came in the kit with some rebranding.

icebath for 20 minutes might not have done enough to cool it below lethal temps.

if there is no krausen forming after 2 full days, you might want to pop to the store to get some dry yeast pack to add.

I did an ice bath for the wort in a cooler for 20 minutes, but I didn’t think to check the temperature (next time I will). As for the type of yeast I cannot speak to that as it came in the kit with some rebranding.

Yes, I'd be pretty surprised if a 20-min ice bath did the trick. If there has been zero activity after two days I would add a packet of dry yeast.

I agree as above. Don't wait. The longer you do wait, the more risk there is to your beer. No need to worry at the moment, but don't take that risk and get new yeast, 3 grams or so, as soon as you can.
Also, good that it's out of direct sunlight but also wrap that in a towel.
Since it's a gallon, and if you stirred it, that might have been okay temp-wise. It could have been the yeast. Check the yeast date. Kit's can be old.
If it ever happens again that you don't use a thermometer, then cool it so it's not warm to the touch.
Good luck and post an update. I don't know about anyone else but this is almost like watching a suspenseful movie to see if the good guy (yeast and your beer) wins.

What @davidabcd says.^ Don't wait too long with a repitch.

How much yeast did you pitch? It's only a gallon, a typical package of dry yeast is 11.5 grams and surely enough for 5 gallons. Is there any left?

If not, do you have a homebrew supply store in your area where you can pick one up?

It might depend on how much ice is in the bath, but I normally have to get my 1.5L starters in an ice bath for 20ish minutes to get down to ~65F. A full gallon, I'd think would take significantly longer.

You'll want to get one of those thermal-pen type temp probes before the next batch... getting temps right is important.

Welcome to the lesson learned club. Good thing it was a small batch and not something bigger or with more ingredients. Not to worry, order up some US-05 from amazon if you have prime and it’ll be there in a couple days if you don’t have a homebrew store near you. Keep it sealed and repitch. Don’t forget to sanitize the yeast packet.

icebath for 20 minutes might not have done enough to cool it below lethal temps.

if there is no krausen forming after 2 full days, you might want to pop to the store to get some dry yeast pack to add.

Perfect, stopped by today. Going to sterilize it shortly!

I picked up US-05 at @WBB's recommendation.

Rehydrated US-05 (first time rehydrating) and then added it in to my glass jug!

Attachments

• 96308895-6482-4577-90E2-B49568223580.jpeg
    96308895-6482-4577-90E2-B49568223580.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 45
  • D9BA360C-D2A0-4BC1-BB9E-CE76464F2DF9.jpeg
    D9BA360C-D2A0-4BC1-BB9E-CE76464F2DF9.jpeg
    779.5 KB · Views: 39
Rehydrated US-05 (first time rehydrating) and then added it in to my glass jug!
Rehydrating dry yeast isn't really necessary (anymore), sprinkling on top is actually recommended now.
That rehydrating yeast should be covered, though. What temperature was that water?

Now as I mentioned before, one whole pack of US-05 is enough to inoculate 5 gallons of wort. So you're grossly over-pitching here. 1/5 of that pack would have been plenty, but that amount is hard to gauge under sanitary conditions.

Remember, we don't sterilize (much) in brewing, we merely clean then sanitize things.
What sanitizer are you using?

Once this batch is done and bottled, you could save the yeast cake in a mason jar, refrigerate it, and use some for a next batch in the short future.

Let's hope this solved the problem.

1st batch questions? Check. Beginners Brewing Forum? Check. Suggestion for harvesting dry yeast? Check. ;)
I attempted my first time brewing from a Northern Brewer gallon kit,

If you are thinking about brewing one gallon batches for a while, 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE! may be of interest. You can scan the last year's worth of posts by starting on page 162.

wasn't that kinda the original problem?
The original deal was no fermentation--for whatever reason. Now, one of the members suggested sanitizing the outside of the yeast packet before opening it to avoid any contamination when adding the wort.

I did an ice bath for the wort in a cooler for 20 minutes, but I didn’t think to check the temperature (next time I will).

A couple of tips for chilling one gallon batches with a water/ice bath:
  1. start with tap water, keep the wort in motion for the first couple of minutes to help with cooling.
  2. after that, stirring both the water/ice bath and the wort periodically (say every five minutes) helps with cooling.
  3. a 20* F (or more) difference between the water/ice bath and the wort speeds up cooling; the last couple of degrees of chilling will take more time than the first 40 degrees.
  4. switch to an ice batch (or chilled water bath) when the wort temperature gets to around 100* F
This should get you to pitching temperature (65* F) in about 25 - 35 minutes.

Okay, you now want to keep your temp from getting too warm. Temp range is on the yeast packet also available online, the ambient temp of your bathroom is a tad too warm at 72 and fermentation creates heat as well. You do not need to keep that carboy wrapped in towels. May I suggest you search swamp cooler? Basically put that in a pail or pan with some cool water and you can drape a towel or other cloth around the top so that evaporation cools it. Do not worry though, you are making beer. :)
BTW, welcome to the hobby and the forum.

Last edited:
Now you have actual fermentation, adhere to what @Hoppy2bmerry said ^. Lower ferm temps (toward the lower end of a yeast's range) make better beer. Use a swamp cooler and/or place in a colder area in your home. Aim for fermenting around 64-65F.

And keep that fermenter out of light. Put in dark place or cover it.

Often closets that border an outside wall are cool during cool months.

Okay, you now want to keep your temp from getting too warm. Temp range is on the yeast packet also available online, the ambient temp of your bathroom is a tad too warm at 72 and fermentation creates heat as well. You do not need to keep that carboy wrapped in towels. May I suggest you search swamp cooler? Basically put that in a pail or pan with some cool water and you can drape a towel or other cloth around the top so that evaporation cools it. Do not worry though, you are making beer. :)
BTW, welcome to the hobby and the forum.

I will look into it for the next brew!
I will look to remove the tools and potentially find a cooler location for it once I’m home from work!

... swamp cooler ...
If you have a 60 quart cube cooler, you shold find that the one gallon carboy fits in it with the lid closed. If so, next step is to fill the cooler with 65*-ish water. For the first couple of days of fermentation, keep the water in the 64*-66* range. With gallon fermentations, I find that the beer ferments 1-2 degrees warmer. I also find that when I don't have to adjust the water temperature, active fermentation is pretty close to done.

I will look to remove the tools and potentially find a cooler location for it once I’m home from work!

By the time you get home most of the off flavors will already have produced as they happen early in the fermentation. It's still a good idea to try to keep the beer cool until fermentation slows, then let the beer warm to encourage the yeast to complete cleanup. Your next beer you will know more about this and will be prepared to maintain the cooler temp.

Back