First brew this Friday! EXCITED

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can tell you are super excited, and you should be. Don't worry about getting it all 100% right the first time (though you want to). There is a definite learning curve, and many different ways to do everything.
In the end, there is a 99.9% chance the outcome will be beer. Drink it, enjoy it, and then start picking out the variables to work on one by one. It is all very rewarding (literally- what is more rewarding result of the learning process than beer?).

Awe!!! I forgot yeast!!!:( I got my best brewers kit and forgot u don't get yeast with it/: I'll have to go tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Actually their is yeast in their.. Here's a picture, should I use it? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400884043.671849.jpg

What I've poked up is mainly beer yeast is in fridge for two reasons one is to preserve it and can use after the exp date if stored correctly. And second yeast can't put off co2 in the colder temps.

He'll yeah:) my luck turned around for today!!:) I will actually start when the sun goes down.. I don't want to run this gas stove for an hour in this heat.. Makes the house hot haha

Does anybody els have this type of thermometer? Is it good? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400885538.132377.jpg

I use floating thermometers made in Japan. They work well.

By gas stove you do mean your range right?

Yes I do, also when making wort in the house for it make the house smell like anything?

Notty is a pretty active yeast, most of the time it will overflow thru your airlock, so a blow off tube is needed, here's a youtube about it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah yes I used to do that to my one gallon jugs if my bungs were all taken ' when I made wine.. So I should do that? Should I put. The airlock back on after a few days or just leave te bung and tube with water on it?

Yeah if I see it getting full then I'll get a bigger jar :)

I'm almost done steeping the grains, it kind of smells like coffee :)

Ugh now sit here and make sure it don't over boil for 50 minutes.. -.-

Question.. So when I was storing the hops a little got onmy finger.. So I locked it just out of curiosity.. It's sweet but also bitter.. When the beer is done in a month will it still be this bitter?/: the IBU says it will run around 30s

Alright finally done! Started at 8:30pm and ended at 10:30 pm! 2 hours woah! Okay here are some pictures below :)

Steeping the water
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400902290.283983.jpg

Added specialty grains
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400902325.595510.jpg

Took out grains and raising temp
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400902346.465779.jpg

Added LME and DME
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400902391.510976.jpg

Added hops and waiting 60 minutes..
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400902404.227185.jpg

Finally DONE:)
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400902437.039661.jpg

You need to keep that in the dark. Light will give it a skunky taste.

You also need to put it in a swamp cooler or some place where you can keep the beer's temp in the 60's. It will easily get 10* warmer than ambient air.

You need to keep that in the dark. Light will give it a skunky taste.

You also need to put it in a swamp cooler or some place where you can keep the beer's temp in the 60's. It will easily get 10* warmer than ambient air.

He's not joking. In a clear vessel in direct sunlight, beer can pick up noticeable skunky characteristics in less than 5 minutes.

Glad you got it under your belt. Hope it's good. Guarantee you'll make better at a later time. I recognized so many mistakes on my first beer the very next day. I now take crazy detailed notes...outdoor temperature at mash in, temperature of wort after 10 minutes of chilling, etc. I learn something new every time I brew.

Sent from here, because that's where I am.

And for the swamp cooler I can't get anything for a week or so /: I'm about to check the temp in it.. To see how urgent I'll need one.. I keep my house at 66 degrees so

If you have a cellar with a concrete floor it may be enough. Even at 66 degrees you may hit 76* which is a bit too warm.

Do you not have a plastic storage bin you can use? Even an extra bath tub may work for now. But you'll also need plenty of frozen water bottles. I like 2 liters as they stay frozen for a while, but they also take a long time to refreeze.

Yeah my wife will get mad if I use the bath tub haha she uses it a lot, we only have one. And nope I don't/: I do at work so in like 2 days I'll get it..

The first 3-5 days are critical of temperature. Your timer has been ticking. I'm not sure how long it may take before it becomes an issue. If the temps get too high it will create fusel alcohol too, which is instant hangover.

My first beer was fermented at room temp (75*) and after drinking two or three I'd get a nasty headache! It cannot be fixed with time either.

Back