First brew this Friday! EXCITED

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure how much wort those kits produce, but i'd say go with a larger pot. Alot of times, depending on brew, a 60 min boil will boil off a gallon of wort. So for a 5 gallon batch your looking around 6 gallons pre-boil. I use a 9 gallon and at a rolling boil it gets pretty darn close to the brim.

Not sure how much wort those kits produce, but i'd say go with a larger pot. Alot of times, depending on brew, a 60 min boil will boil off a gallon of wort. So for a 5 gallon batch your looking around 6 gallons pre-boil. I use a 9 gallon and at a rolling boil it gets pretty darn close to the brim.

Old news bud :) the 5 gallon extract kits have u add 2.5 gallons of water in the pot. I used a 5 gallon and it did great :) of course it added more volume when I added more stuf such as hops, grains, and the DME & LME. But it still worked out great :)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Brew another beer or go buy some. Refrain from cracking them open too early. A few days short likely won't make much difference, but a few too many certainly will, and it won't taste all that great, and so you will basically have wasted how ever many you tried early.

I typically ferment and condition mine for four weeks these days, and give them a complete week in the fridge. I extended the ferment/condition times because I had an IPA taste much like Ranger and told my friend. By the time he stopped by a week later they had morphed and were nothing like Ranger, though still good. And a week in the fridge ensures they are properly carbed up and clear, if clear even matters.

Yeah it will be a full week tomorrow.. So one more week in the fermentation.. Then I'll bottle carb for 2 weeks, then stick them babies in the fridge :) yeah I'll defently have to buy some beer tomorrow.. Because the smell of the beer is making me want it so bad! The co2 it's putting off I can smell it in the room :) has a Caramel/hop smell :) but I am also ready for this batch to be done so I can use my Carboy for a different batch(:)

Yeah it will be a full week tomorrow.. So one more week in the fermentation.. Then I'll bottle carb for 2 weeks, then stick them babies in the fridge :) yeah I'll defently have to buy some beer tomorrow.. Because the smell of the beer is making me want it so bad! The co2 it's putting off I can smell it in the room :) has a Caramel/hop smell :) but I am also ready for this batch to be done so I can use my Carboy for a different batch(:)

I would leave it in the bottles for more than 2 weeks before putting them in the fridge, but others will certainly disagree with me.

The common time frame is 3 weeks for both fermentation and conditioning. It's for a good reason. I'd refrain from cutting that too short.

It's like my quote from Revvy:

Originally Posted by Revvy
...tasting a beer at 1 week, and again at 2....that to me just means there 2 less beers that are actually tasting good and are ready at the end.

You'll be rewarded for your patience.

The common time frame is 3 weeks for both fermentation and conditioning. It's for a good reason. I'd refrain from cutting that too short.

It's like my quote from Revvy:

Originally Posted by Revvy
...tasting a beer at 1 week, and again at 2....that to me just means there 2 less beers that are actually tasting good and are ready at the end.

You'll be rewarded for your patience.

Im going to have to argue with this one.. It's never a waste if you drink the beer and like it... Now it may taste better a week later but it wouldn't be a waste if you drank it and enjoyed it. But yes 1st week alright but 2nd week Awesome.. Yup I do agree with the patience..

Hey guys, so it's been 6 days.. I have yet to see a bubble all day long.. Yesterday it bubbled like every 30 minutes.. Maybe even long, the airlock that is. Do you think it's done? Or should I rack to secondary and wait a few days to see what happens?

It's certainly possible to be done by now. Or it could be the cold temp you posted on the other thread.

I'd leave it for a total of 3 weeks if not 4 though. No need for a secondary, but if you do want to do that I'd leave it for a total of 2 weeks in primary.

Yeah well I brought down the temp that low about an hour ago..

I checked ABV with hydrometer and the instructions say FG 1.020-1.024 and it's at 1.020 so I went ahead and prime sugared and bottled:) I've noticed the fermentation has slowed a lot! I went ahead and added 4oz instead of 5 JUST IN CASE the fermentation does pop back up :) it taste amazing even flat..

Bottled last night, I went ahead and tried a bit ago and opened one.. Wow.. All I can say is wow.. Best beer I have ever had! I know only 1 day of carb.. And amazingly it's amazing! Obviously has a while to go to carbonate.. But I give this beer 5 stars! I am now bitten by the brew bug(; thank you all for the help!

Latest posts

Back