First brew tasted... success?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djinn88

Reaction score
A friend and I have just cracked open two of my first brews, Oktoberfests. Tasted them, and wouldn't ya know... they tasted pretty good! I had it in primary for about 10 days, and bottled for 10 days (impatience on both steps), but the FG was done when bottled. These taste maybe a little sweeter than I would have liked, but I still like the taste.

Here is a statement and my question. The beer still tastes a little like what I believe is described as "green." I am pretty sure it will get better in the coming weeks. The carbonation seems a little low so far, I used 3/4 cup dextrose in a pint of water like "normal" in about 4 1/2 gallons to bottle. Can I expect the carbonation to get better? Also, will swishing the yeast around now and letting it sit for the next weeks help increase the carbonation?

you should swish it around, and let it sit around for a while yet. i have some oktoberfest i made in may that is in the keg still aging... that is plenty of sugar for carb. did you dump the sugar into the finished wort, or boil it in water and mix it into the finished wort?

I boiled it, cooled it, and put it in the bottom of the bottling bucket before siphon. So you think it would benefit to swish the bottles around a bit and let them settle back out over the next weeks?

there are several professional breweries that referment in the bottle. it's purpose is to add carbonation and bottle fermentation taste, so yes. swish it around and let it sit for another month or so

Cool, I will try that out with at least half of my bottles. Then I will taste the differences, if there are any, in a few weeks.

:mug:

in the meantime, get another brew or 2 going so you don't run out of homebrew and have to drink sos ( sh@$ off the shelf ) :D ... and there will be BIG differences

LOL, yeah. I have a Fat Tire clone going right now, going to bottle it in a week or two. It's been going since last Thursday and is most definitely done with fermentation, but I've been advised to keep it on the yeast. I'm trying for the "pipeline," gotta get something else brewing NOW!

Latest posts

Back