first brew question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek_chaser

Reaction score
I made my first brew yesterday. We noticed this morning that peculation has started, but there seems to be some gunkiness in the airlock. Its still functioning though. What do you suggest? Do we change it out?

I made my first brew yesterday. We noticed this morning that peculation has started, but there seems to be some gunkiness in the airlock. Its still functioning though. What do you suggest? Do we change it out?

Suggest always using a full sized blowoff tube. You don't want a mess!

You mean foamy stuff is getting into the airlock? If so, change the airlock to a blowoff tube. That gunk can clog the airlock adn make a big mess.

Could I switch to another airlock and be ok? Or will it blow that out too?

It will likely blow into a cleaned airlock also. If it clogs pressure will build up until something gives. If in a carboy it can blow out the stopper with enough force to cover your ceiling in krausen. In a bucket it can blow the top off with similar results.

Get a section of tubing that will fit and put the exit end in a small cup of sanitizer or vodka. Put that cup in something larger in case it overflows. In a couple of days when fermentation slows you can change back to the airlock if you want to. Though there is no need to change back.

if the gunk is still being blown into the airlock you really should fix a blowoff tube or keep a very close watch on it.

if the activity has slowed down you are probably ok but swap out the airlock with a clean one anyway. The first 48 hours seem to be the biggest chance of the thing going boom.

3/8 inch will fit over the bottom piece of a standard three piece airlock. Put the tube over the base piece and use the airlock piece like a pipe and put it in the bung.
===
Oops, my mistake. Looks like I meant a 1/2 inch tube. But looks like you got it fixed.

Got it! Thanks everyone. There was no way I was going to let this blow out onto my wedding dress.

ForumRunner_20130825_100828.png

Just on the off chance that you weren't kidding about the wedding dress, you might want to move your fermenter. Brewing gives off some odors and there's always the possibility of a catastrophic event.

I can't tell if that's carpeting but if it is you may want to consider putting the fermenter in a large Tupperware type bin.

Welcome to the hobby and let us know how the beer turns out!

Latest posts

Back