First brew on new rig, many months in making

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkboiler

Reaction score
Pieced this together over the last 18 months. 3rd baby arrived, little time to brew, but could spare an hour here and there to install a fitting or cut a tube, etc...
I've brewed in various forms for about a decade, usually in a cooler, pot/bucket or other low tech solution. This was my first system with pumps. Trying to get the hang of this system manually, so that moving toward an automated PID for a Honeywell valve and pilot light is maybe next year.
8.5 gallon pots, intending to be very similar to blichman breweasy.
2nd pump is to recirc ice water thru IC from mash tun during last chilling from 130F down to 65F.
Lessons learned during first brew day:

-Need more height for upper pot above burner. The BG10 with NG makes biiiig flames!
-cheap pump cannot easily push water thru IC (may be bad seal at compression fitting)
-taking the diptubes out to clean is a PITA. Need to cut the falsebottom in half or else sub in a silicone flexible segment to be able to bend it.
-i tried to get every last drop so cut the diptubes very close to the bottom. This provided a lot of flow restriction, sometimes choking the pumps or leading to a clog (I forgot I own a hopspider).
-heat capacity of bricks under BK and MT is very high. My strike temp was wayyyy off!
-need a better recirc solution, the heavy QD was channeling the wort and not uniformly heating up the mash...maybe I'll just set my pizza pan I got in there that I was thinking about using to try LODO.
-need to remember that I was planning to do full volume like blichman brew easy....whoops, forgot that...
-Need to validate calibration on dial thermometer on pot....seemed wayyyy off, so opted for my handheld digital that I trust for the rest of the brewday.
-definitely want to get a autosparge...managing the valves was a pain.
-need more buckets for milling and cleaning!
Brew "day" took 6 hours or until 1am. Oof!
Oh well...was happy to be back at it!

20210214_130201.jpg

View attachment 718594
View attachment 718596
20210212_210428-jpg.718597

Congrats on getting the new rig going. Maybe the stuck mash could be from too fast a recirculating rate. I know I experienced that when I toyed around with my own 2 vessel “BrewCheapy”. Could also try using a mash bag too.
Any reason you didn’t put the boil kettle on the bottom?

Congrats on getting the new rig going. Maybe the stuck mash could be from too fast a recirculating rate. I know I experienced that when I toyed around with my own 2 vessel “BrewCheapy”. Could also try using a mash bag too.
Good question!
The mash seemed to go well, other than missing the temp by a mile. No stuck-ness I think on the mash side, altho the circulation wasn't great, I think it was the upper vessel dip tube too close to the bottom....it totally clogged when I tried to get the wort into the fermenter.
just picked up the kettle manually...oof my back. 😱

I had considered that for a while... Was concerned evap and heat from burner would compromise the "table"...
the stainless top is actually adhesively bonded to stiffeners and fittings that attach to the legs. Not sure the adhesive could handle more than 300F...
That being said, I didn't feel the table after this brew since the burner is screwed down to the table top... 😳

Last edited:
The condensation would drip back into the boil kettle, yuck.
A lot professional systems have condensers. Lol granted that is completely different than the condensation from the underside of a steel table

Last edited:
A lot professional systems have condensers so that all evaporation recirculates to the kettle. Lol granted that is completely different than the condensation from the underside of a steel table
The kettle condensers don't recirculate the steam back to the kettle it is sucked out via the vacuum created by the cold water spray. And yes we don't know what's on the bottom of the table. Plus dripping on the pumps.

The kettle condensers don't recirculate the steam back to the kettle it is sucked out via the vacuum created by the cold water spray. And yes we don't know what's on the bottom of the table. Plus dripping on the pumps.
I need to stop posting until I’ve had at least 2 cups of coffee lol

-definitely want to get a autosparge...managing the valves was a pain.
Whoa...Try this
1. Heat the strike water in your BK.
2. Gravity feed the strike water to MT and dough in your grist. Don't stir MT again after the initial dough in!
3. Then continuously recirculate from the bottom of the MT to top of the MT, i.e. recirculate within MT only.
4. Meanwhile heat extra infusion water in the BK for step mashing and/or mash out ~170F. The additional water volume should be sufficient for a full volume boil out of the MT.
5. Pump the clear wort to the BK.

BTW, check out the RIMS tube at brewhardware.com. When paired with a voltage regulator, is the simplest MT temperature control. The RIMS tube is also a great place to mount in and out wireless BBQ probes for very easy temperature managing.

Last edited:
Whoa...Try this
1. Heat the strike water in your BK.
2. Gravity feed the strike water to MT and dough in your grist. Don't stir MT again after the initial dough in!
3. Then continuously recirculate from the bottom of the MT to top of the MT, i.e. recirculate within MT only.
4. Meanwhile heat extra infusion water in the BK for step mashing and/or mash out ~170F. The additional water volume should be sufficient for a full volume boil out of the MT.
5. Pump the clear wort to the BK.

BTW, check out the RIMS tube at brewhardware.com. When paired with a voltage regulator, is the simplest MT temperature control. The RIMS tube is also a great place to mount in and out wireless BBQ probes for very easy temperature managing.
I think this is exactly what I want to do for 2.5 gallon batches on my system!
I needed a solution for that anyway, and maybe it'll make 5 gallon batches easier as well! Thanks!

FYI. On big commercial kettles (600 to 1200 bbls) we had a drip ring around the inside circumference of the exhaust stack to collect and take away any condensate. It tastes terrible! You don't want it back in the kettle.

Back