First Brew - Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Totally

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch of homebrew on the 9th! It was an Oatmeal Stout extract brew and things are going well so far, brew day was mellow and uneventful. Likely because I overplanned it and walked through it in my mind a thousand times doing mental dry runs.

I rehydrated the yeast and pitched, no starter. The fermentation was fast and furious, started bubbling after roughly 8-10 hours and by the next day was bubbling many times per second. After 48 hours all bubbling had stopped and I have not seen one since.

Fermenter is currently in a small dark room that happens to stay at exactly 20 degrees C day and night.

The OG was 1.064 a little higher than the estimate. I checked the SG at day 10 and there is nothing much on top of the beer besides around the edge of the bucket and the SG is at 1.018 I will check again in a few days to see if the SG has leveled off.

Overall, very happy with how things are going and the sample from the SG test tastes pretty nice so far.

Looking forward to bottling and my next batch!

Recipe
Type: Extract
Recipe: Oatmeal Stout
Size: 5 Gallons

Malt
6 lbs Golden Light DME

Steeped Grains
1 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter
12.0 oz Roasted Barley
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked
8.0 oz Wheat, Torrified

Hops
1.50 oz Fuggles - Leaf - 60min
1.00 oz Goldings - Pellet - 20min

Yeast
1 Packet - Lallemand/Danstar - Nottingham Ale

IBU: 31.2 IBUs Rager
SRM: 31.8
Est OG: 1.054 SG
Est FG: 1.013 SG
Measured OG: 1.064
Day 10 SG: 1.018

Brew day photos

1 Steeping Grains.jpg

2 Grains Strained Out.jpg

4 Added DME.jpg

5 So Creamy.jpg

6 Hops Is In.jpg

7 Testing OG.jpg

9 Checking Colour.jpg

10 Checking SG Day 10.jpg

Well done. Just a note for future brews. With extract the amount of sugars is known and guaranteed. If you got the right volume of water, you got the right OG.

If you go to all grain brewing, then the OG can vary depending on how good efficiency you get but the sampling is more accurate because you won't be putting a concentrated wort into the fermenter and topping up. Getting good mixing of the concentrated wort and the top off water is difficult.h

Well done. Just a note for future brews. With extract the amount of sugars is known and guaranteed. If you got the right volume of water, you got the right OG.

If you go to all grain brewing, then the OG can vary depending on how good efficiency you get but the sampling is more accurate because you won't be putting a concentrated wort into the fermenter and topping up. Getting good mixing of the concentrated wort and the top off water is difficult.h

Thank you for the thoughts, the main reason I joined and posted here.

The recipe I used from my LHBS did not show an expected OG, thought I did plug things into BeerSmith and Brewers Friend to get a better understanding of the recipe. BeerSmith had the estimated OG at 1.054 and I measured at 1.064. As you say, could be incomplete mixing of the wort or an issue with the way i entered the data.

Looking forward to all grain once I get a decent number of extracts under my belt and some more experience brewing in general.

Thank you for the thoughts, the main reason I joined and posted here.

The recipe I used from my LHBS did not show an expected OG, thought I did plug things into BeerSmith and Brewers Friend to get a better understanding of the recipe. BeerSmith had the estimated OG at 1.054 and I measured at 1.064. As you say, could be incomplete mixing of the wort or an issue with the way i entered the data.

Looking forward to all grain once I get a decent number of extracts under my belt and some more experience brewing in general.

I think the number one is pretty decent. :p

Bottled my Oatmeal Stout. SG was stable at 1.018 from the first test on day 10 until I tested on day 14. Bottled on day 15, maybe could have left it a little longer but it was stable so I decided to bottle it.

11 Bottling Empty.jpg

12 Bottling Full.jpg

I think the number one is pretty decent. :p

I found it quite helpful to do a half-dozen extract batches before switching over to all-grain and practice with a few different aspects of the post-lauter process before introducing mashing and water chemistry fiddling.

Bottled my Oatmeal Stout. SG was stable at 1.018 from the first test on day 10 until I tested on day 14. Bottled on day 15, maybe could have left it a little longer but it was stable so I decided to bottle it.

Did you sanitize your bottles? I don't see any starsan foam.

Did you sanitize your bottles? I don't see any starsan foam.

Haha, good eye!

First pic is pre-sanitize and second is post bottle, post wipe down. I wiped them down because im keeping them in the nice boxes they came in for easy storage until they are conditioned.

Back