First brew mix up on grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thinus

Reaction score
Hi my first time brewing all grain . Recipe for pale ale was
American pale 9kg
Munich dark 1kg
Carapils 0.5kg
Hallertau hobs 50g
Cascade hobs 50g
Munich yeast 11g
Water 49 l + 10 l sparge

So I screwed up and put the wrong bag in !!!!!
It's now
Carapils 3kg
Munich dark 1kg
American pale 6.5kg

any Idea how bad it's going to be or will it even work at all

Must I dump and start over ?

Why would you do that without even tasting the completed beer. Pitch the yeast and give it 2 weeks to complete the ferment and start to clear, then take a hydrometer sample. Taste the sample. If you find it totally undrinkable, then consider whether to dump or blend with another batch. Then think about whether to use carapils again. I have not used that for years and my beer has decent body and good heading without it. Body in your beer can be adjusted by changing the mash temp. I consider adding carapils to be a crutch for those who cannot otherwise get the body where they want by good mashing technique.

Why would you do that without even tasting the completed beer. Pitch the yeast and give it 2 weeks to complete the ferment and start to clear, then take a hydrometer sample. Taste the sample. If you find it totally undrinkable, then consider whether to dump or blend with another batch. Then think about whether to use carapils again. I have not used that for years and my beer has decent body and good heading without it. Body in your beer can be adjusted by changing the mash temp. I consider adding carapils to be a crutch for those who cannot otherwise get the body where they want by good mashing technique.
Thank will give it a go

I would probably run it to the end and then take a small sample and taste it. Then decide what to do. Frankly I have no idea what it will taste like in the end. This will at least be a learning experience for sure.
Thanks maybe put it through a pot still ??

drinkablecolor.jpg

going to be high gravity, but i usually brew to color, and it looks fine to me? i'm not really famillar with dextrine malt, but mash low temp if you're worried about getting the runs from a high FG....

edit: or if it's already brewed, there's always glucoamylase! :D

View attachment 676016

going to be high gravity, but i usually brew to color, and it looks fine to me? i'm not really famillar with dextrine malt, but mash low temp if you're worried about getting the runs from a high FG....

edit: or if it's already brewed, there's always glucoamylase! :D

Thanks my second brew (blond ale ) started bubbling in the water trap after a day but stopped after 3 days temp did drop to 16"C will it start bubbling again when temp rise in day

Thanks my second brew (blond ale ) started bubbling in the water trap after a day but stopped after 3 days temp did drop to 16"C will it start bubbling again when temp rise in day

damn, i came here to see what people said about my 15 beers.....you made my head hurt having to convert 16c to 60f....yeah 60f would slow down fermentation....but after three days could be done....have you taken a hydro sample?

sorry if i sound drunk, still have to let them know it went to fifteen before kicking, today!!! :off:

It may start bubbling when you warm it but mostly because of the expansion of the gas in the fermenter. yeast only produce CO2 in the first 2-3 days of active fermentation. They don't stop fermenting then, just stop producing CO2. Warm that beer up to to 20 to 24C now as the yeast will go to sleep and quit fermenting when too cool. Leave the beer in the warmer temps for another 2 weeks, then take a hydrometer sample to be sure the yeast didn't quit when the temperature dropped.

I did a recipe once where I accidentally doubled the CaraHell and Acid malt, and it turned out to be a fantastic beer.
Let it ride, you might be surprised, since Carapils isn't really a conventional caramalt.

damn, i came here to see what people said about my 15 beers.....you made my head hurt having to convert 16c to 60f....yeah 60f would slow down fermentation....but after three days could be done....have you taken a hydro sample?

sorry if i sound drunk, still have to let them know it went to fifteen before kicking, today!!! :off:
Hahaha !!!

It may start bubbling when you warm it but mostly because of the expansion of the gas in the fermenter. yeast only produce CO2 in the first 2-3 days of active fermentation. They don't stop fermenting then, just stop producing CO2. Warm that beer up to to 20 to 24C now as the yeast will go to sleep and quit fermenting when too cool. Leave the beer in the warmer temps for another 2 weeks, then take a hydrometer sample to be sure the yeast didn't quit when the temperature dropped.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back