First brew in over 3 years

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cochised

Reaction score
Due to various house moves etc finally got a brew done for first time in over 3 years.
Had previously done a good few partials and a couple of AGs before selling most of my gear
Viewed today a relearning experience with a view to moving onto only partials and then AG

Was NEIPA extract kit from a HBS here in Ireland

Did a full boil, well nearly at 20 litres due to pot size.
Steeped the grains but my boiler got up to heat way too fast so probably only steeped for 20 mins tops

Got it boiling amazingly fast
Also had my first hot break due to limited head space

Was a bit lax with my sanitisation at the end but hope it won't cost me

Over all very happy with it and loved the smells I remember so well:ban:

Have the makings of a black IPA partial I've done several times to some acclaim so that's up next and I'm looking forward to it

Just thought I'd share :D

Good news. I'm in the same boat with you. No brews in years and now relocated to a new house with space for all of the equipment. Just completed an AG west-coast IPA four days ago and am now planning the next brew. Cheers to you!

Black IPA? How do you boys on the green isle like to make those? Care to share the recipe?

Quick update:
Alas this one never seem to got going.
Temp control was fine but didn't get much fermentation.
Did just pitch the dry yeast, which has worked before, but maybe it was off or something.

A quick sample doesn't actually taste bad so may leave it a bit longer.

Still, happy to be back in the game and content with the overall procedure etc

Quick update:
Alas this one never seem to got going.
Temp control was fine but didn't get much fermentation.
Did just pitch the dry yeast, which has worked before, but maybe it was off or something.

A quick sample doesn't actually taste bad so may leave it a bit longer.

Still, happy to be back in the game and content with the overall procedure etc

How could you tell? Did you use your hydrometer to see if the beer fermented?

Don't want to hijack a thread, but I too am sitting on a primary of Coopers Euro Lager, and its been sitting idol for about 24 hours. New back in the game, as is the OP, so I am not happy if I don't see bubbles. My pitch temp was low 60s or 17C, so concern again about the low temp. I just pitched the yeast dry on top of the wort. I have agitated the pale a few times today, but no noticeable interest.

I do have a blow off tube on the pale, and quite a bit of headspace, so perhaps not enough CO2 pressure to force itself out yet. Still, I do not see any action in my opaque pale. No krausen development. My cake is forming along the bottom of the pale, so not sure that is a good sign either.

Don't want to hijack a thread, but I too am sitting on a primary of Coopers Euro Lager, and its been sitting idol for about 24 hours. New back in the game, as is the OP, so I am not happy if I don't see bubbles. My pitch temp was low 60s or 17C, so concern again about the low temp. I just pitched the yeast dry on top of the wort. I have agitated the pale a few times today, but no noticeable interest.

I do have a blow off tube on the pale, and quite a bit of headspace, so perhaps not enough CO2 pressure to force itself out yet. Still, I do not see any action in my opaque pale. No krausen development. My cake is forming along the bottom of the pale, so not sure that is a good sign either.

Even my ales that ferment at a higher temperature take 24 to 36 hours to start showing action. Your bigger headspace in the carboy is part of that, the blowoff could be another if it is deep in the water as it takes more pressure before it can bubble. The third part is that the stopper can leak a slight amount too and since not much CO2 is being produced (maybe none yet) you won't get bubbles. Finally, being a lager yeast and cooler fermentation temperatures, you yeast are slower to start.

So I may have jumped the gun a bit by writing this one off:)

Tested gravity and did a smell and taste this morning, all looking good

Will keg soon and have it ready for Christmas.:rock:

Have you sampled any yet. I know you have!! I would. :yes: Oh you just posted today...... Didn't see that......

Also, Did you cold crash before bottling? Wondering if cold crashing one of the extract brews is even worth while. Perhaps someone can comment.

Happily my lager got going after about 24 hours, and is still steadily, but slowly, bubbling away today. I plan on crashing 24-48 hours, then bottling, so it might be ready to try mid January. Bummer!

Back