First brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mic Carp

Loud Mic
Reaction score
Well i was semi successful with my first BIAB brew day.
I have wort that’s pretty tasty prefermentment but just not as much as I expected. Looks like my boil was a little hotter than calculated. I thought I’d end up with a solid 5 gallons in the bucket but its more like 4.25. It’s gonna end up a little bigger than planned.
Shot for og of 1.054 but ended up with a 1.070. Egads. I decided to just top it off. Now i hit my target with 5.25 gallons.
Other than that, the new 15gal kettle and 50’ IC and hoist worked great.
All in all i am stoked.
Also kegged 3 extract beers i brewed a couple weeks ago so there’s that!
Happy Sunday Brewday!
9A0A64FA-230F-42E8-8080-FF43518CC0CC.jpg
IMG_1386.JPG
IMG_1388.JPG

Last edited:
I thought I’d end up with a solid 5 gallons in the bucket but its more like 4.25. It’s gonna end up a little bigger than planned.
Shot for og of 1.054 but ended up with a 1.070. Egads. I decided to just top it off. Now i hit my target with 5.25 gallons.
]

Simple approach is to
Make a story pole for your kettle, or just mark your mash paddle with pre boil volume and or just post boil volume.
This way you can monitor volume as you go and not blindly rely on a calculator...

Simple approach is to
Make a story pole for your kettle, or just mark your mash paddle with pre boil volume and or just post boil volume.
This way you can monitor volume as you go and not blindly rely on a calculator...

Thanks for the tip. Afterwards I actually started a dip stick just for this very reason
Great minds!

Thanks for the tip. Afterwards I actually started a dip stick just for this very reason
Great minds!

Yes...I am a fan of getting your head out of the calculator and over the kettle :)

Typical thread...” I’m 2 gallons short to the fermenter, calculator said I should have 5.5 gallons”

Well didn’t you see that coming like a freight train lol

Back