First brew day; 2 Catastrophes - Both w/ Wort Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maximus4444

Reaction score
So I decided to brew the 3F ZD clone recipe (Extract/pm). This is my first brew ever. Everything was going well. I was doing a full boil starting with 6.5 gallons. The boil went well. No boil over issues. (My wife was thankful for that)

Here comes the cool down. I borrowed a wort chiller from a fiend. I had tried the ice bath method in a test boil of just water; and that didn't go fast enough.

Wort chiller was sanitized during the boil. Connect the hose. Turn it on. And it is working like a charm. Until about 10 minutes in when my hose breaks. Hose water al over the floor. Scrambling to not make a complete mess, I throw towels down all over. Crisis number 1 averted.

Then I notice there's water coming from the vinyl tubing that's attached to the chiller. I try to push the hose on and then tighten it; but the tubing pops off the chiller.

Hose water spraying everywhere. I was dying laughing. I got the lid on the wort quickly. Hopefully it's not ruined. But definitely learned some lessons.

All things considered it sounds like a pretty good 1st brew day - after a few more you'll get all the kinks worked out :mug:

my best beer so far to date had about a half gallon of hose water added at cool down due to a crack in the tubing of a chiller I was borrowing. Turned out to be my best beer to date! In the end rest assured it will be beer, and probably pretty damn good beer at that!

While not brew related, I feel your pain/humor! Another hobby of mine - aquariums. I have a "Python" which hooks up to the sink and used to clean my tanks. Turn valve one way and its a suction. Turn the other way and it refills the tanks

Last weekend I had TWO hose failures and well, a flooded wood floor. Wife wasn't pleased but tried to see the "good side". We now have a clean floor! :)

Yeah, I'm not terribly worried. All I can do is wait. It's producing plenty of bubbles. Can't wait.

Last brew day in February I stuck my wort chiller in the kettle to sanitize it and didn't notice that the vinyl discharge tube was touching the outside of the kettle near the bottom. Melted a good chunk of it to the pot. One emergency cut and reconnect later and all was well, but I did burn a few fingertips. I successfully avoided that issue this morning, though.

I did notice in Feb. that when I stuck the cooler in the kettle the boiling stopped and it took ages to get it going again. This time, before I put the cooler in or connected it to the garden hose, I grabbed the input end with some pliers and poured some boiling water from an electric kettle through the coil. Didn't even burn myself. I put the kettle and pliers down, then picked up the coil to put it in the kettle, and burned a few finger tips...

I was concerned about scorching my vinyl chiller lines. Now I just soak the chiller in a sanitizer bucket with everything else I keep sanitized on brew day instead of boiling it.

Back