First brew bottled... Now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lambo1274

Reaction score
Brewed my first batch, hefeweizen, on the 4th of July (a truly American pastime) and it is now bottled and doing its thing. I've read a few different points on how long to lave it in the bottle (and the fridge) before enjoying - somewhere between 0 and several weeks. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

lambo1274 said:
Brewed my first batch, hefeweizen, on the 4th of July (a truly American pastime) and it is now bottled and doing its thing. I've read a few different points on how long to lave it in the bottle (and the fridge) before enjoying - somewhere between 0 and several weeks. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Once it's in the fridge, the yeast is dormant and its good to go.
I usually hold it in bottles for two weeks before putting it in the fridge.
On that note, I think you're ready to migrate that beer! I look forward to hearing how it turned out.

3 weeks at 70 degrees... then a couple in the fridge for a couple days then try, if ready chill em down and drink up

I agree 3 weeks min. Although I normally put 6 in the fridge @ 2 weeks. The longer they sit before chilling the better. I normally only chill 6-12 at a time so by the time I put the last 6 in it has been in bottle 2-3 months. It always get better with ages

Today marks two weeks in the bottle. I will stick one in the fridge and test it out later tonight. However, when I bottled, I only had enough at the end to fill the last bottle about 3/4. After reading some of the other feeds on HBT I found that this may effect the amount of carbonation. True?

Eh, maybe, maybe not. One way to find out.

In answer to the "what now?" question, brew a second batch, of course! :mug:

How convenient JonM. When my original kit arrived we found that the thermometer that was shipped with it was broken. Emailed the company and they sent an entire new kit. So I ended up with two of everything - including all the brew ingredients! Bonus!

Get to brewing that second Kit!!

As far as the beer goes I'm assuming you are doing extract brewing, my experince with that is 3 weeks @ 70 degrees as stated above and at least 10 hours in the fridge to get the Carb right.
I always cheat and put one in the second week because I can't wait. I would say a good rule of thumb is 10 hours fridge before enjoying.

Wingnutt73 said:
Get to brewing that second Kit!!

As far as the beer goes I'm assuming you are doing extract brewing, my experince with that is 3 weeks @ 70 degrees as stated above and at least 10 hours in the fridge to get the Carb right.
I always cheat and put one in the second week because I can't wait. I would say a good rule of thumb is 10 hours fridge before enjoying.

Just put one in the chiller. It'll be ready by dinner time. Yes I used extract. Does it make a difference that it is a hefeweizen?

Hefes tend to carb quickly with all of the yeast that's typically in suspension. They also expire fast. I would try one in a week.

I'd put three or four in the fridge at 2 week mark. Drink 1-2 after 12-24hrs in the fridge. Then wait another week. Put a good amount in the fridge at this point and drink the 1 or two you have had in the fridge for the week. Note any differences between the one you drank at 2 weeks conditioning/1 day cold storage, and the ones you drank at 2 weeks conditioning/1 WEEK cold storage. Then in the next few days beginning drinking the 3 weeks conditioned beers and note some more changes. Then keep a rotation chilling or store the rest cold if you can. Enjoy!

Just cracked the first one open and ..... success! It is rather citrusy (think Sam Adams Porch Rocker or other shandy) so I think I'll let the rest shutout for a little while longer to see if that will tone down a bit. By all accounts though, a successful venture!

I try one after 2 weeks at room temperature and 24 hours cooling. Some are carbonated and some are not. ALL of them tasted better after 3 weeks. I would still say a hefe would need the 3 weeks to condition and would peek in a couple of months. How long after that before they are toast is probably not a given time period.

I would still say a hefe would need the 3 weeks to condition and would peek in a couple of months.

I couldn't disagree more. Hefeweizens, as well as most other beer, are best fresh.

This "aging is always better" mentality on this site is a problem. It makes me shudder when I see threads where homebrewers let their IPA sit in the fermenter three weeks, bottle for three weeks, fridge for a week, and I think to myself "you missed the beers peak condition".

Back