First Brew 5 years in years!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wldthang87

Reaction score
My previous experience has been a failed brew in the bag and a different syrup kit a buddy bought that failed too. They both tasted like garbage and we decided to toss after a few beers :( :confused: :( . One tasted like a multivitamin and the other was like watered down beer cool-aid with too much sugar. However after finding this forum and reading lots and lots of info

This past weekend I made my 'bucket kettle' found a good video on Youtube and gave it a go. Last night I made my wort chiller from 25' of 1/2" copper, and some PVC.
So I decided it was good to start a American Amber Brew kit i picked up. Overall I'm very happy with it, it smelled amazing (my wife, threatened divorce). I want to go all grain now, maybe too soon, but I've got the bug.

A couple of hiccups I didn't foresee, there was lots of foam, I drained off some liquid and re-added it to the boil, after the foam died down. I should of used a spray bottle to calm it down, but foolish me I didn't have it ready to go. I learned my lesson.

Also my dip tube clogged, I sanitize a wrench, and removed it, it seemed to work out, lesson learned again I'm going to pick up a hop strainer, my next visit to the brew shop.

Next I pushed my rubber stopper into the carboy too far. Luckily I had a back up, i sanitized it and put it in.

Hopefully i attached the pictures right.... enjoy!!

IMG_0872.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_0876.jpg

Interesting, I've never seen an electric bucket kettle. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention to the electric brewing forum. Can you tell us a little about it?

Edit to add: It's never too soon to go all grain. Your beer will improve. Do it!

Nice post

I would add

It's never too early to buy a metal pot. SS is good but Aluminium is cheap. Not as cheap as plastic I suppose. Never seen this before. Thanks for sharing.

I don't think I'd be brave enough to try this.

i'd be worried about it melting and disforming enough while boiling that long to misshape it enough to pour liquid everywhere.
You sir, are ballsy :)

not sure what i am seeing there. are you boiling and/or cooling wort in a plastic bucket?

We don't see this setup here in the states, but overseas it is quite common to brew in a bucket. There is an electric element in the bottom which is how temps are controlled and boil is achieved. They hold up just fine but do get soft while hot. They are food grade buckets so there is little to worry about as far as leaching goes. This is especially true after the first boil, which should be water as a test of the system anyway. They use a bucket the same way we would use a kettle.

My previous experience has been a failed brew in the bag and a different syrup kit a buddy bought that failed too. They both tasted like garbage and we decided to toss after a few beers :( :confused: :( . One tasted like a multivitamin and the other was like watered down beer cool-aid with too much sugar. However after finding this forum and reading lots and lots of info

This past weekend I made my 'bucket kettle' found a good video on Youtube and gave it a go. Last night I made my wort chiller from 25' of 1/2" copper, and some PVC.
So I decided it was good to start a American Amber Brew kit i picked up. Overall I'm very happy with it, it smelled amazing (my wife, threatened divorce). I want to go all grain now, maybe too soon, but I've got the bug.

A couple of hiccups I didn't foresee, there was lots of foam, I drained off some liquid and re-added it to the boil, after the foam died down. I should of used a spray bottle to calm it down, but foolish me I didn't have it ready to go. I learned my lesson.

Also my dip tube clogged, I sanitize a wrench, and removed it, it seemed to work out, lesson learned again I'm going to pick up a hop strainer, my next visit to the brew shop.

Next I pushed my rubber stopper into the carboy too far. Luckily I had a back up, i sanitized it and put it in.

Hopefully i attached the pictures right.... enjoy!!

I've learned to keep a wire whisk handy. It really breaks up those bubbles and keeps the beer from boiling over.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425409852.760635.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425409864.245655.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425409875.461455.jpg

Yes, all the YouTube videos were all Europeans, the bucket held up really well. It starts getting a little soft about 210 degrees F, but not melting. The only thing I was terrified of was a boil over onto the outside of the elements. I have the element wholes about 1" off of the bottom which give it strength and rigidity even with the hot temps. My first test was a water boil in the garage absolutely no leaks, not a drop.

I have a stainless keg I plan on turning into a keggle. But I think when I do go to all grain I will still use this to boil my strike water and my sparging water. Just in smaller volumes. Like 3 gallons at a time.

Back