First Brett Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed a 10 gallon batch of saison with 3711 French Saison yeast. When I rack to the secondary I plan to aged 5 gallons on Brett B (WLP650) for 3 months. This is my first time using brett so I have a few questions.

* While in secondary, what temp should I leave it at so the brett will work it's magic?
* I know 3711 tends to attenuate quite well, so should I add some corn sugar with the brett when I rack to the secondary? If so, how much and do I boil it, cool it, then add?
* I plan to keg this, does that mean my keg can only be used for brett/sour beers? (I've heard conflicting things on this)

Thanks!

* While in secondary, what temp should I leave it at so the brett will work it's magic?
The secondary temp wont matter too much in my experience.

* I know 3711 tends to attenuate quite well, so should I add some corn sugar with the brett when I rack to the secondary? If so, how much and do I boil it, cool it, then add?
That will probably make the beer even thinner.

* I plan to keg this, does that mean my keg can only be used for brett/sour beers? (I've heard conflicting things on this)
Just make sure to clean it well. I remove my posts and orings and put them with the lid into the keg and fill it with oxyclean over night. Then dump and spray everything with starsan. Never had an isssue.

That will probably make the beer even thinner.

I just want to make sure the brett has something to eat. I know it can munch on what normal yeast can't, but I'm not sure how much food is needed to get a good brett character. Last time I brewed this saison it finished at 1.005.

I just want to make sure the brett has something to eat. I know it can munch on what normal yeast can't, but I'm not sure how much food is needed to get a good brett character. Last time I brewed this saison it finished at 1.005.

Nothing you can do about mouth feel at this point, but imo the best saisons are very dry. It will probably come out great.

1) anything between 60 and room temp (low 70's) should be fine. if you go too hot, you might encourage other bugs.
2) even with 3711, there is plenty left behind for the brett. you don't get brett flavor by them eating sugars, brett flavor comes from their digestion of sacc's by-products (read this). so sugar won't do much to increase brett flavor.
3) anything stainless can be sanitized, if done properly. o-rings and other soft parts are slightly risky. they can be sanitized too, but you're probably better off boiling them. alternately, have a set of rubbers (!) for sours.

you've probably already brewed this but if not....

mash higher than you normally would so the brett has something to eat. also throwing in come carapils or the like will help keep some body as brett will bring your fg down real low. at least that's what i've picked up from reading madfermentationalist and other posts around here.

Yeah, I already brewed this a while back. The keg without the brett is almost gone, but the brett has been on the second 5 gallons now for almost 2 months. The beer finished at 1.06, so pretty dry, but there still should be some leftovers for the brett. A little bit of pellicle has formed, but not much. Everything I read say I may or may not even see pellicle. Right now I'm going to try to hold out 6 months until I keg it, may even wait till next spring? I'll probably sample pretty soon just to see how it's developing.

Latest posts

Back