first big OOPS...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WroxBrew

Reaction score
So, I got distracted by a lady friend while brewing a porter this weekend when we both were startled by a huge CRACK! I immediately ran to the control panel and killed it. I knew then that something bad just went down as I lifted the top of my hlt to see a bright orange glow coming from the element. I let my sparge water go too far and exposed the top of the element. So should I just order a new one, or should I fire it back up again and see if it survived. Anyone else have one survive?

"I got distracted by a lady friend while brewing a porter this weekend "
So is that what they're calling it nowadays? lol

what kind of elements do you have? i have run my camco ripple elements dry a few times without issue except some smoke and fear.

fill the pot, turn it on. if it's burnt out nothing bad should happen it simply won't work. if it works then lesson learned.

It's the Camco straight 5500 ulwd. Thanks, I'll fire it up and see what happens. I'm not brewing this weekend, so I have some time if I need to get another.

If you heard a CRACK, and also saw a bright orange glow, even if the element were to amazingly still work, I would replace it on your schedule rather than it's schedule....

Plan on replacing the element at your earliest opportunity.

If you heard a CRACK, and also saw a bright orange glow, even if the element were to amazingly still work, I would replace it on your schedule rather than it's schedule....

Agreed!

I would also look into doing some overnight mashing, she might love it. Things may cool a bit overnight, but you can get it heated up again quickly in the morning.

just make sure you use a good bag; no recirculating either

Yes, I think this is very good advice. I don't want it to fail during my next brewing session as it is not something that can easily be replaced while brewing.

Replace it pronto, buy one of these: auberins float switch. Rig your panel to start your burner when the float switch flips. That'll give you ample time with your lady friend.

It will save the element for sure, but then my sparge pumps will also need to be shut down too. Then there's the hot break to deal with.

I guess next time I'll just remember it has to be a "Quicky"

Ken

Seeing as it went crack it almost certainly is dead. You can check by testing the resistance of the element with a multimeter. It should read about 25 ohms. If it reads 0 or infinity replace it.

Latest posts

Back