First "Big Beer" -- what should I know?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripleC223

Reaction score
I have a little over a year of homebrewing under my belt and would like to make my first big beer, a BIAB Belgian tripel. I will use mostly Belgian pilsner malt and Wyeast 1214 (rinsed and refrigerated from a prior Belgian single) for a 3-gallon batch.

What do I need to be aware of when brewing a beer with a higher OG?

I have a mason jar that contains basically a full Wyeast 1214 yeast cake from a 2.5-gallon 1.054 Belgian single. It has been in my fridge for about a week, so I will make a starter (also a first).

My target OG for the tripel is 1.076. However, this will only be my second BIAB so I will have some DME on hand in case I miss that. I also may get lucky and get more than 60% efficiency, so OG will be a large variable.

What about fusel alcohols? I have read that the higher ABV, the more risk you have for creating fusel alcohols. What is the truth to that, and what should I aim for during fermentation? I have an Inkbird and a FermWrap, and room temp fluctuates between 58-68 degrees depending on the outside temp.

Thanks for the advice. Just trying not to screw it up.

Style: Belgian Tripel
Method: BIAB
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 3 gallons (fermentor volume)
Efficiency: 60% (hopefully)

Original Gravity: 1.076
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV (standard): 8.35%
IBU (tinseth): 30.75
SRM (morey): 7.27

Fermentables
7 lb Belgian - Pilsner (78.9%)
0.5 lb Belgian - Aromatic (5.6%)
22 oz Cane Sugar (15.5%)

Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
0.5 oz Hallertau Pellet 6 Boil 60 min 17.82
1 oz Hallertau Pellet 6 Boil 10 min 12.92

Mash
Mash at 150F for 90 minutes

Yeast
Wyeast - Belgian Ale 1214

I think you'll be fine with that recipe and yeast. I've used the white labs equivalent wlp500 many times for beers up to 1.115 O.G. with no issues. For fermentation I start it at 66° for 2 days before letting it rise. I use a brewpi so it's a tightly controlled rise, something like 3° per day up to 78°. In any case I'd recommend a low 66-68° start.

To be honest a 1.076 gravity beer isn't that big of a beer. I understand it's all relative but the first beer I ever brewed was a 1.070 ipa. No fusel alcohol issues at all even though I'm sure I didn't have great practices.

Fusel alcohols are usually detected not necessarily from high ABV but rather from too high fermentation temperature and/or unstable ferm temps.

Another factor will be malt to sugar ratio as sugar is an important ingredient in Belgian tripels. Too much sugar might leave a heavy alcohol flavor as they are 100% fermentable.

Mash low! Pitch well. Ferment hot!

Belgians tend be a bit drier. You'll want the mash temp to be 148 ish. More fermentable. Get ABV by attentuation, not more gravity. 1.013 might be a bit sweet for a tripel, but the simple sugar may offset it. IMO 1.010 is perfect for at tripel. Id cut the aromatic in half personally. It has a very strong malt aroma. In 5 gallon batches I use 6 oz and thats enough.

Cane sugar tends to add a "tang" to beer if its put in too late. Cane sugar is sucrose, Belgian sugar is "invert" sugar - Fructose and Glucose. Sucrose can invert in the presence of acid (wort) and Heat (boil). It takes about 15-20 minutes for that to happen, so don't let cane sugar scare you :)

WYeast 1214 is a good strain. Chimay's.

Mash low! Pitch well. Ferment hot!

Belgians tend be a bit drier. You'll want the mash temp to be 148 ish. More fermentable. Get ABV by attentuation, not more gravity. 1.013 might be a bit sweet for a tripel, but the simple sugar may offset it. IMO 1.010 is perfect for at tripel. Id cut the aromatic in half personally. It has a very strong malt aroma. In 5 gallon batches I use 6 oz and thats enough.

Cane sugar tends to add a "tang" to beer if its put in too late. Cane sugar is sucrose, Belgian sugar is "invert" sugar - Fructose and Glucose. Sucrose can invert in the presence of acid (wort) and Heat (boil). It takes about 15-20 minutes for that to happen, so don't let cane sugar scare you :)

WYeast 1214 is a good strain. Chimay's.

I typically add table sugar to the last 15 minutes of the boil, though admittedly I have never used this much. I'll probably just go for 20 just to be safe. Thanks for the advice.

Have never used Belgian aromatic either, so less is probably more...

Back