First BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReaperOnefour

Reaction score
Hello all. It's still kind of up in the air, but I've been thinking about trying the BIAB method in a partial mash recipe. An American red ale is my favorite beer style , so I thinking of using some of that weyermann carared. Now please correct me if I'm wrong ( because I really dont know nothing about BIAB) but I was thinking about adding 1 lbs of carared, maybe half a pound of briess caramel 40L, ( for a slight caramel flavor) & a pound of light DME. I want to do a one gallon batch. Then add my hops as usual. What do you guys think?

With 1 full pound DME for a 1 gallon batch, you will be pushing your predicted OG up quite a bit for a red ale (1.075 With this in Beersmith). Using half pound DME will place you in the sweet spot of 1.053 (given end boil volume of 1.2 gallons to yield your 1 gallon packaged.

What size kettle are you using? I would refer to extract w/specialty grains for more info on this technique.

Good luck and have fun!

Latest posts

Back