First BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No offense to the thread creator, but that is poorly written. Most of what he writes could be accomplished in a cleaner manner in single post (instead of small bits in 10 different posts). It's just not very well presented and it comes off as very pompous to boot.

A simple sticky titled "Recipe Integrity: What It Means," could have presented the same information, even using the same example, but in a much less condescending, know-it-all tone. If that is how he responds to a posted recipe from the AHA, I would be hesistant to ever ask a question there.

To show that I did look around the site, I found his attempt at trying to come up with standardized terminology a useful endeavor, but is probably a giant uphill battle. I would have loved to have found the sticky on Clear Brewing Terminology (CBT) early in my homebrew adventure. The definitions are very succinct and would have made my introduction into the brewing world smoother.

That said, I didn't see many examples of the types of threads that meet the high standards you led us all to believe filled the site. I see promise and it sounds like brewers with the underlying knowledge frequent the site, but the presentation just isn't up to snuff.

I find this post humorous, because the most common compliment to Pat and his site from new members is how laid back and amiable the discussions are. Look at the end of that thread, and notice how a member articulated your point so much better.

I'll go ahead and chalk this one up to cognitive dissonance on your part and be merrily on my way.

Peace.

I listened to the podcast referenced above with Pat Hollingdale, with regards to the 90 minute mash recommendation, Mr Hollingdale felt that 90 minutes was best because it emulated the 3v method with a 60 minute mash, and an additional 30 minutes that the sparge water was in contact with the grain during a typical fly sparge.

Was there more information on the 90 minute mash that I likely missed...this left me thinking there must have been more?

I tried to scroll the podcast again but couldn't find anything in this regard. Can any one help me here?

Thanks.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

I listened to the podcast referenced above with Pat Hollingdale, with regards to the 90 minute mash recommendation, Mr Hollingdale felt that 90 minutes was best because it emulated the 3v method with a 60 minute mash, and an additional 30 minutes that the sparge water was in contact with the grain during a typical fly sparge.

Was there more information on the 90 minute mash that I likely missed...this left me thinking there must have been more?

I tried to scroll the podcast again but couldn't find anything in this regard. Can any one help me here?

Thanks.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

I believe that was all, it is around the 31:50 mark. Other points about pH and mash thickness are after that.

Thanks...

I also listened to the podcast, and that's all I found. 90 minutes emulates the 3-vessel technique (somewhat). Nothing approaching a rigorous, evidence-based approach.

I did look at the thread there where he asked for mash gravity figures with a mash out. Responses to that one, where they listed measurements at 60- and 90-minutes showed--for the most part--a two or three point increase from 60 to 90 minutes (while some actually showed a decrease after mash-out). I guess it's up to the brewer to decide if a couple of points is worth 30 more minutes.

However: the the data in that thread is completely unreliable, even with their attempts to standardize. The sample size is not statistically significant, and there's no attempt to control for variables. While I think it's an admirable attempt, I believe the methodology (crowd-sourcing) is faulty. I would hesitate to base any predictions on the data there.

The plural of anecdote is not data.

Certainly nothing approaching the high standard that Conestoga has set for us here.

I also listened to the podcast, and that's all I found. 90 minutes emulates the 3-vessel technique (somewhat). Nothing approaching a rigorous, evidence-based approach.

I did look at the thread there where he asked for mash gravity figures with a mash out. Responses to that one, where they listed measurements at 60- and 90-minutes showed--for the most part--a two or three point increase from 60 to 90 minutes (while some actually showed a decrease after mash-out). I guess it's up to the brewer to decide if a couple of points is worth 30 more minutes.

However: the the data in that thread is completely unreliable, even with their attempts to standardize. The sample size is not statistically significant, and there's no attempt to control for variables. While I think it's an admirable attempt, I believe the methodology (crowd-sourcing) is faulty. I would hesitate to base any predictions on the data there.

The plural of anecdote is not data.

Certainly nothing approaching the high standard that Conestoga has set for us here.

Classic "perfect solution fallacy".

We recognize the flaws, and are transparent about what needs to be done. have you seen this discussion?

http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=2044&p=34616#p34616

Just as I articulated to RM-MN about a possible "experiment" in regard to short mash time, there is nothing wrong with compiling anecdotes as long as you are transparent and honest. This way people can assign proper value.

We are home brewers, and can only be expected to "experiment" within our means. Things can always be polished or replaced at a later date. This is essentially science, we must start somewhere and this is our latest best guess until the next step.

Instead of being a fault finder, how about you add your two cents and contribute what you believe to be a better method?

This has me chuckling as some of us are experimenting with shorter mash periods with BIAB. The intermediate conclusion is if your grains are milled fine as possible the mash is over in 20 minutes and may be pretty well done in 10 minutes.:rockin::ban:
May I suggest that you start a new thread on "20 mins. mashes" and experiment over there. Everyone that wants to contribute or read can follow along.

To bring up 20 mins. mashes every chance you get to a newbe is just not right, imo.

I respect BM and his 45 mins. mash. ... Yooper for her knowledge too!

Can we all just get along? RK
I am thoroughly confused now, how do you know if the mash is done in 20 min? What does the remaining time do?
I jumped in when you got confused. I apologize.

I find this post humorous, because the most common compliment to Pat and his site from new members is how laid back and amiable the discussions are. Look at the end of that thread, and notice how a member articulated your point so much better.

I'll go ahead and chalk this one up to cognitive dissonance on your part and be merrily on my way.

Peace.
I review writing each day. There is no cognitive dissonance. My mind is in complete agreement. Your friend is not a good writer.

If the first post a new visitor to the site read was the one you linked, I doubt they would come back. I definitely wouldn't have stuck around, but I was trying to give it a fair shake. I was trying to find an example of the type of thread you were alluding to, but was unable to find one.

Classic "perfect solution fallacy".

Nonsense.

Like I pointed out with my pithy aphorism: the plural of anecdote is not data. What you are collecting over there are anecdotes. No matter how many of them you collect, it is a mistake to treat them as data.

The flaw is compounded when you attempt to turn a small collection of anecdotes into a system for making predictions. The attempt is admirable, but quixotic.

For the most part, all we have here is anecdotes as well (save for some information in the Brewing Science thread.) What it means is that while the information is very useful, it will not substitute for trying things yourself to see how they work.

xUCKuas.jpg

esabasard - I hope you got your questions answered to your satisfaction - sounds like you did great with the double (finer) crush - you need not add additional grain to get the efficiencies that you target. IMHO you will find great BIAB info both here and at biabrewer and I think you will really like the simplicity of and success of BIAB brewing. Keep us posted on how the beer turns out !!

May I suggest that you start a new thread on "20 mins. mashes" and experiment over there. Everyone that wants to contribute or read can follow along.

To bring up 20 mins. mashes every chance you get to a newbe is just not right, imo.

I respect BM and his 45 mins. mash. ... Yooper for her knowledge too!

Can we all just get along? RK

I jumped in when you got confused. I apologize.

May I suggest you start a new thread on the necessity of a 90 minute mash for BIAB. To tell a newbie that he needs a 90 minute mash is just not right, especially in light of what I get at 20 minutes. I'd suggest you start investigating the quality of your crush and experiment with better milling and shorter mash times.

To tell a newbie that he needs a 90 minute mash is just not right, especially in light of what I get at 20 minutes.

Across all brew styles, forums, malts, adjuncts ... etc ...

90 minutes has become widely accepted around the world to be sufficient. In light of what you get in 20 minutes is not as all encompassing, therefore more assumptions must be made.

And I repeat ...

Occam's razor (also written as Ockham's razor and in Latin lex parsimoniae) is a principle of parsimony, economy, or succinctness used in problem-solving devised by William of Ockham (c. 1287–1347). It states that among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected. Other, more complicated solutions may ultimately prove correct, but—in the absence of certainty—the fewer assumptions that are made, the better.

The burden of proof is on you. Consider a brewer in the far corner of the world with a limited selection of ingredients. Perhaps the grains aren't as well modified, archaic techniques are used, whatever ...

They see your posts, mash for 20 minutes, come up well short. This is a feasible scenario and why it's proper to teach 90 minutes until 20 minutes can gain enough traction to establish inevitable risks.

It's much different for somebody in the US who can mirror your ingredients, I don't doubt they will have similar results as you do with 20m/fine crush.

All we're asking is you be clearer than you have been, if you do not wish to develop the idea further.

Cue for somebody to take me too literally, and rely on semantics and/or intellectual dishonesty in an attempt to discredit my character.

RM-MN,
What base malts have you been successful in these short mash times? Have you found any differences between American 2 row, British Pale or a German Pilsner?

Cue for somebody to take me too literally, and rely on semantics and/or intellectual dishonesty in an attempt to discredit my character.

You're really not willing to have an open discussion about this, are you? Ease up, man, no one is attempting to discredit your character. This could be a good discussion, but you're trying to turn this into something personal, and it's not.

A couple of points:
Nothing that I've seen on BIABrewer.info stands up to the standards you've presented here. You appear to be ignoring this.

As to RM-MN--without digging through all of his posts--I don't recall him ever telling anyone that they should mash 20 minutes. He shares his results--that is, what works for him. It is a good thing for people to try it themselves--even better if they respond back and share their experience. I'd wager that RM-MN would readily accept evidence that contradicts what he's finding, and take it into consideration. Disclaimer: I don't know the guy (or if he's even a guy)--I just find your attempt to discredit him sloppy and inconsistent.

Yes, the burden of proof is on the one making the claim. Good for the goose, good for the gander: You claim (carefully) that 90 minutes is accepted around the world as sufficient (did you mean necessary?). Are you willing to provide something to back this? Please don't lean on the semantics of 'sufficient.'

You're really not willing to have an open discussion about this, are you? Ease up, man, no one is attempting to discredit your character. This could be a good discussion, but you're trying to turn this into something personal, and it's not.

Then perhaps it might be an interesting exercise to look through what I've attempted to discuss in here, and pay attention to the resulting comments.

What I'm doing, is keeping this thread on topic. Personal attacks have come my way, pointing them out and showing how I perceive is actually showing what is not pertinent to the discussion.

I mean, you can assume what I am trying to do that's fine, but you're absolutely wrong about what I'm "trying to turn this into". In fact, I've been saying the same thing over and over again.

A couple of points:
Nothing that I've seen on BIABrewer.info stands up to the standards you've presented here. You appear to be ignoring this.

I did not ignore this, but pointed out that 20 minutes or 1 day of viewing/forming opinion might be a bit of a myopic knee jerk reaction. I see no point in discussing this further. We'd love to have people join our discussions.

I feel like this place is paralleled to a dysfunctional family. Bear with me here, and it's simply an observation over a good deal of time. The demeanor here is to attack. As I've said before, there are some fine posters here, but too often the demeanor is terrible. People here get used to that, accept it even to a degree even if they do not like it. The ends justify the means?

Anyway, it's not like that on BIABrewer.info. So, viewing Pat's tongue in cheek presentation through a lense of dysfunction can throw our words out of context a bit for some readers. If that thread was posted here, sure it might ruffle some feathers, but we're very respectful to each other. Context, understanding can go a long way. This is one but not "the" standard I speak of (more on that later). We cannot please everybody, but will obviously take your perception into consideration. My analogy might be a bit extreme, I'm just relaying a concept. Anyway, you seem to want to redefine my words in a black and white fashion. I cannot stop you from doing this, perhaps taking me at my word and giving it a respectable amount of time might be the way to go? Or don't, I really don't care.

Before focusing on something I say, ask yourself if you are trying to rebut an opinion. That is very pointless, especially when asking for clarification first is always a better option.

The discussion is becoming rather convoluted, we really need to put a lot of this behind us to focus on the whole point of this thread, which is next.

As to RM-MN--without digging through all of his posts--I don't recall him ever telling anyone that they should mash 20 minutes. He shares his results--that is, what works for him. It is a good thing for people to try it themselves--even better if they respond back and share their experience. I'd wager that RM-MN would readily accept evidence that contradicts what he's finding, and take it into consideration. Disclaimer: I don't know the guy (or if he's even a guy)--I just find your attempt to discredit him sloppy and inconsistent.

Yes, the burden of proof is on the one making the claim. Good for the goose, good for the gander: You claim (carefully) that 90 minutes is accepted around the world as sufficient (did you mean necessary?). Are you willing to provide something to back this? Please don't lean on the semantics of 'sufficient.'

I do recall him pontificating his mash times, also without digging through his posts. We don't have to agree here.

Agreed. It is a good thing for people to try for themselves (been saying this the entire thread if you notice), but I feel they need to be properly informed of potential risks before doing so.

I also suggested RM-MN be more transparent with methodology, documentation, etc ... so that we may get a better glimpse of his variables. Do you disagree?

My attempt to discredit him is sloppy and inconsistent, because you are creating it in your mind. I'm basically trying to present logic, and I'm asking him to bring more information to the table if he's going to talk as I've seen him do (again we disagree here, so ...)

To clear the air. I feel it's necessary to teach 90 minutes, but reality is that it's sufficient considering this is what you find in most research and recipes. Admittedly, "90m" can be a bit ambiguous. Even 60 minutes could mean 90 minutes if sparge wasn't originally considered. This doesn't need to be explored much deeper than that for the sake of this discussion, so let's not pretend it does? Look around, 90 minutes is everywhere and it works across the styles. Efficiency problems have been worked out around the world under that umbrella so far, but not yet 20m. If 90 minutes was too short somebody would be looking hard against it, and increasing. The fact that many are shortening the time validates it enough.

And this leads back to BIABrewer's CBT, a standard that is trying to straighten all of this ambiguity out. I'm here, simply trying to help arm new brewers with the most reasonable starting strategy. They are reading these forums, things can be misread regardless of RM-MN's intentions. He's not outwardly telling anyone to do it, but he's not taking what I consider to be great care with them either. It takes a second of honestly to nip mistakes and confusion in the bud, and why not do that if you're experienced? The standard I speak of is this, the crux of my point ... I hope this is now clear and not misrepresented again in the future.

No disrespect ever intended. As with the music theory analogy I brought up before, it's best to learn the established rules before breaking them. Breaking them is part of the craft end of things, and I have great respect for that. The context of this discussion is not about that.

I also suggested RM-MN be more transparent with methodology, documentation, etc ... so that we may get a better glimpse of his variables. Do you disagree?

Yes, I disagree. I've written about my methods several times. Documentation? What kind, the gap on my crusher? I use a Corona mill and there is no gap, the plates rub hard. The recipe? Look in the recipe section, I've done several from there.

I use Brew Target to manipulate the recipe I choose to get the proper amounts of the grains based on an expected efficiency of 85%. When I mash and hit that projected OG, it shows me that I'm getting conversion and my efficiency hasn't changed. When the FG fits within the projected range and the beer tastes good, I feel that that shows that the conversion was done to the point that I mashed long enough for the beta amylase to have had time to work. If you want better documentation, you do the experiment and write it up.

After I had been BIAB brewing for a couple years I went to BIABrewer to learn more from the "experts" but what I found in the hour or so of reading that I did was so far from what I found to work that I quit reading. That was when I was still doing an hour long mash and getting great results with my fine milling. 90 minutes for mash? Don't mill too fine, you'll have problems. What I found there was misinformation surrounded by a bunch of fan boys. I'll take what is here on HomeBrewTalk because it seems to be self correcting. If I or someone else post something that is wrong, it gets challenged or corrected.

Yes, I disagree. I've written about my methods several times. Documentation? What kind, the gap on my crusher? I use a Corona mill and there is no gap, the plates rub hard. The recipe? Look in the recipe section, I've done several from there.

I use Brew Target to manipulate the recipe I choose to get the proper amounts of the grains based on an expected efficiency of 85%. When I mash and hit that projected OG, it shows me that I'm getting conversion and my efficiency hasn't changed. When the FG fits within the projected range and the beer tastes good, I feel that that shows that the conversion was done to the point that I mashed long enough for the beta amylase to have had time to work. If you want better documentation, you do the experiment and write it up.

After I had been BIAB brewing for a couple years I went to BIABrewer to learn more from the "experts" but what I found in the hour or so of reading that I did was so far from what I found to work that I quit reading. That was when I was still doing an hour long mash and getting great results with my fine milling. 90 minutes for mash? Don't mill too fine, you'll have problems. What I found there was misinformation surrounded by a bunch of fan boys. I'll take what is here on HomeBrewTalk because it seems to be self correcting. If I or someone else post something that is wrong, it gets challenged or corrected.

Translation: meh, screw everyone else and my collateral damage, it's all about me.

KoKyBUS.jpg

Im understanding correctly that both are no sparge methods?

Would you both mind doing a write up as you would do it, for a simple 1 gallon Smash with say mattis otter and ek goldings?

Im just moving into all grain biab but would like to try both techniques with a lhbs crush and a flour crush to try the difference. I don't have a refined palette but can at least take reading and give an evaluation based on a true newbies perspective

Back