First BIAB - Maris Otter/Willamette SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DGibb

Reaction score
I am planning on moving to All Grain from Extract brewing, and I think my first step will be BIAB. I have done quite a bit of reading and I have formulated my first SMaSH recipe for an American Pale Ale.

Please let me know how it looks and how my proposed technique will work.

WillMO SMaSH!
OG:1.056
FG:1.014
IBU (Rager):40.6
ABV:5.6%
SRM: 5

Grain Bill:
10lb. Maris Otter

Mash at 155 for 60 minutes with 3.125g water (heat to 167 prior to grain addition to compensate for grain temperature differential) (assume ~1g water absorbed by grain)
Sparge with 4.5g strike water (10min sparge)
Combine water, bring to boil (total ~6.5g water for boil)

Hop Schedule:
1oz. Willamette (4.7%AA) @ 60min
0.75oz Willamette (4.7%AA) @ 30min
0.5oz Wilamette (4.7%AA) @ 10min
0.5oz Willamette (4.7%AA) @ 5min
0.5oz Willamette (4.7%AA) @ 0min

~5.5g final (assume 1g boil off per hour)

Wyeast 1056 American Ale Yeast (pitch at 68F)

Primary: 10 days at 68F (Rack off of trub, approx 0.5g)
Secondary: 5 days at 70F (Final volume 5g)
Keg and Force Carb at 30psi for 1 day, reduce to 10psi for a week
Drink

Your process looks great to me. My process is pretty similar, and I love my beer.

Also, please update on how this beer turns out! I've been strongly considering the same SMaSH, since I have over a pound of Willamette to go through.

Thanks! I am eager to try this myself.

I have over a pound of Willamette to go through.

You too? I bought a pound of each Cascade, Warrior, and Willamette and they've been begging to be used.

I've done this before, and it was very nice.
I've also used it for a strawberry smash (1 pound of frozen berries per gallon of beer), and that turned out great as well.

I have a single malt coming up. I had the TIPA from Schlafly not long ago and loved the nice crisp light look of it yet good flavor and aroma. decided to make one myself. Personally, I am so open minded when it comes to recipes that it would take something drastic for me to question it. Like putting bananas, oranges, tomatoes and broccoli or something in it...lol. I love the SMaSH idea.

Wow that's an old thread. I wouldn't use a British style grain as the base malt for an American Pale Ale. I'd go w/2 Row and skip the secondary and keep it in the primary for 3=4 weeks. Not saying that it would be a bad beer.....

Wow that's an old thread. I wouldn't use a British style grain as the base malt for an American Pale Ale. I'd go w/2 Row and skip the secondary and keep it in the primary for 3=4 weeks. Not saying that it would be a bad beer.....

I was planning on making a similar beer since I wanted to find out exactly how Willamette tastes by itself. I'm under the impression that it's the American hop with the most similarities to Fuggles. Have your experiences proven otherwise?

Back