First BIAB hef advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scuba_Steve81

Reaction score
Hello,

I am preparing to brew my first BIAB brew.

Here is my recipe for a 5.5g batch.

6 lb Wheat malt
4 lb Pilsner malt
1.7 packs of Wyeast 3056
18g Hallertaur 4.4 AA

When I went to buy my ingredients from the LHBS, I found that they didn't have my liquid yeast.

They gave me 2 packets of Safbrew WB-06 instead.

Am I good to go, or should I order online? I am already in the low 90s here, so I am a bit nervous to be mailing yeast now. Plus I wanted to brew this weekend...

Any other recipe critiques?

Should be good with that yeast. Two packs might be overkill. Just keep fermentation temp around 64 IMO.

Yes, fermentation will be at 64. I didn't plan on adding 2 whole packs. Just one and a partial. How much would you guys suggest?

Just one, hefe gets banana and clove from under pitching the yeast.

Just out of curiosity then. Why do multiple recipes online suggest using 1.7 packs of liquid 3056?

Hello,

I am preparing to brew my first BIAB brew.

Here is my recipe for a 5.5g batch.

6 lb Wheat malt
4 lb Pilsner malt
1.7 packs of Wyeast 3056
18g Hallertaur 4.4 AA

When I went to buy my ingredients from the LHBS, I found that they didn't have my liquid yeast.

They gave me 2 packets of Safbrew WB-06 instead.

Am I good to go, or should I order online? I am already in the low 90s here, so I am a bit nervous to be mailing yeast now. Plus I wanted to brew this weekend...

Any other recipe critiques?

Recipe looks good. I just brewed a Hefe yesterday and it has taken off like the yeast starter had rocket fuel in it. Glad I am using a blow off tube.

My Hallertau was only 2.7AA so I used the full oz. WLP 300 and made a starter, but I agree about this time of year with liquid in the mail. If I do buy online, I'll call on a Monday and ask if they can ship that day. Still risky however.

I am gonna try harvesting a pint or two of my yeast slurry to see how that goes for my next batch. First time trying this.

62F first week, 65F second week. Hope keeping low F and large starter keeps me from getting a banana bomb.

Good luck.

Just out of curiosity then. Why do multiple recipes online suggest using 1.7 packs of liquid 3056?

That sounds odd, I just pitched one vial 300 and made a 1L starter the day before. Like I said before in the post above, that sucker took off like a rocket.

I always use 1 pack / no starter for hefe. Several have said its better to under pitch this. I also ferment at 68 although I may try a little lower next batch.

Back