First beer brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldwhiskers

Reaction score
I started with two NB kits, Dry Irish Stout and Nut Brown. I did both yesterday and I seriously think they should rename brew day to cleaning day, LOL. Anyway, I checked them this morning and here's what I had, happy happy:

20140406_073933_700x.jpg

Happy, happy is right, but you're going to be sad, sad if you have a blowoff on your right fermenter. Watch the krausen level.

And congrats on your first brews.

Looking good.

I would take a folded up washcloth and place it over the temperature probe(s) to insulate some from the ambient air. That way it will be making more of a measurement of the wort temperature. Also get another blow off tube ASAP. If your luck is like mine either the one with the airlock, or both will be blowing.

Happy, happy is right, but you're going to be sad, sad if you have a blowoff on your right fermenter. Watch the krausen level.

And congrats on your first brews.

Yep, the one on the right has been busy today. I have the hose, I just need to order another plug and fittings to do the second blow-off. I'll get that done this week, at least I'll have it for the next brew.

Looking good.

I would take a folded up washcloth and place it over the temperature probe(s) to insulate some from the ambient air. That way it will be making more of a measurement of the wort temperature. Also get another blow off tube ASAP. If your luck is like mine either the one with the airlock, or both will be blowing.
I was trying to determine how I could cover the sensor to better detect the carboy temp, I will give that a try. I will be getting another blow-off plug on order this week, my local brew house does not carry the one for Better-Bottles.

I'm impressed, first brew, and you have temp control and blow-off.

I have been lurking for awhile and patiently collecting all of the equipment needed. The impatient part was after ordering the blow-off plug to make sure that it was what was needed, I made the two batches before ordering the second blow-off plug.:rolleyes:

Got my second blow-off plug ordered, to late for this round but now I will be covered for the next batches.

I bottled the Nut Brown last weekend and racked the Dry Irish Stout to secondary. When I bottled the NB I bottled a couple in Newcastle bottles just to be able to peek at the progress of carbonating. I put one of the NB in the fridge yesterday and tried it last night, it's a pretty good beer. When I racked the DIS I sampled it and it tasted pretty good too. I will probably bottle it in a couple of weeks.

If you like the nut brown, I have something you can try to get an idea of what late additions and hopbursting (this isn't quite what i would call hopbursted, but will give you an idea of what it will do to a beer. It's that recipe (extract), but tweaked to get a good strong smooth hop flavor and it's very balanced. Check this out:

Steep Grains (4oz English Chocolate Malt, 4oz Belgian Special B, 4oz Belgian Biscuit, 4oz Briess Special Roast) in 2.5 Gals water @ 155 Degrees for 30 mins
Add 2 Gallons water previously mixed with 1 Lb Pale LME
Bring to boil
When you see the first bubble, start 30 minute timer
With 25 Minutes Remaining, add 1.5oz Fuggles Hops
With 15 Minutes Remaining, add 1 Whirlfloc Tablet
At flameout, add 6Lbs Pale LME already dissolved in 1 gallon of water

Cool to pitch temperature, aerate, and pitch.

I apologize for the odd recipe format but it's all I can do at the moment. Looks like you're off to a a Great start, just wanted to toss an idea your way to experiment with. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back