First batches...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frosty56

Reaction score
So over the weekend we made 20 gallons of cider and decided 10 gallons of it could be hard cider..

In each batch I put 5 campden tablets and let set for 24+ hours.

Then I dissolved 1lb of honey, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, and 1/2 cup of white sugar... A yeast nutrient and pectin for each batch.

From there I added Lalvin EC-1118 to one batch and WPL775 to the other...

I am happy to report that both are bubbling nicely..

What I am looking for is if any one has any good/unique flavoring ideas when I go to the secondaries? Different fruits, more apple juice, raisins, caramel... Anything...

I fermented 10 gallons for my last batch,and in my secondary carboys I added brown sugar (half box) to each. In one I added star anice,clove,ginger,and powdered cinnamon.In the other I added star anice,nutmeg,clove,and allspice.

The cinnamon seemed to stay suspended,and after I bottled I noticed a bit of residue in the bottoms of the bottles,but both taste great,and now my biggest challenge is leaving it alone until Thanksgiving..

Back