First batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txtrnr

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch sat night. It's a brewers best American amber. I did not check the og as the guy at the home brew store said its not that critical with kit beers. I noticed today that the bubbles have stopped in my airlock. That's only 3 days after being placed in fermenter. Do I need to check the specific gravity or is it ready to bottle

I'm just as new as you but the response that comes up time and time and time again on these forums is that airlock activity is by no means a good indicator of fermentation and checking the gravity over the course of a few days to make sure it's stable is the only way to know for sure.

3 days also seems very short and I would recommend (based on things others have recommended) that you leave it longer, at least a couple weeks for the yeast to clean up after itself resulting in less off flavors and a clearer beer.

I would wait another 2 weeks to let your beer clear up and the yeast to clean up after themselves then you can take a SG reading and again 2 days later. If they match then bottle. Check the bottling kegging forum for Revvys bottling tips sticky for great bottling tips.

It is not uncommon for main ferment to happen that quick, depending on yeast, temps and wort composition.

However, leave it alone for 10-14 total days to let the yeast finish and then go back and clean up after themselves.
They are incredible like that.

Then check gravity and recheck 2 days later. If constant then bottle nor keg and then leave it alone for couple weeks at 70 or better.

Congrats on your first brew and welcome to the forum. Believe it or not, I brewed the same kit for my second beer. Turned out great and Ive been brewing for 2 years now.

Not checking the OG is terrible advice in my opinion-kit or all grain. You get a OG and FG (final gravity) reading to determine a number of factors including efficiency, fermentation progress, and alcohol content. But these readings can very based on batch size, yeast activity, etc. Gravity readings are very important for a number of reasons-especially as you progress to partial and all grain.

Chances are, if bubbles are no longer visible in the airlock, that fermentation is complete. However, you should look at the beer itself. If the liquid is still "moving" with particles floating about or there is a layer of krausen still on top of the beer it is still fermenting. But to be safe, you can only wait or determine completion based on OG and FG which you cant since you dont have a OG.

You can do what you want but I would suggest letting it be for a 3 weeks from the brew day -Dont touch it, dont let it sit in the light, and make sure the temperature is within the recommended range for the yeast. This way the beer will clear and fermentation is sure to be complete. Bottle after week 3 but be careful of the amount of priming sugar you use. Unfortunately, without the OG and FG, you cant really calculate the exact amount of suggested priming sugar. So use the recommended amounts with the kit. I would use a little less.

If you bottle early-before fermentation is complete- you are likely to create bottle bombs (which suck) as well as a inferior beer. Let it be and brew another batch. The first is likely to go quick.

Back