first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bajarob

Reaction score
I brewed a Hefeweizen. Did a partial boil. Did it right in my kitchen and chilled it in my bath tub. Bottled it 2 weeks later. Turned out great. Maybe a tad over carbonated. I added 2/3 cup of regular white sugar to prime with. Should I use a bit less next time?

Most homebrews use 3/4 cup dextrose per 5 gallons as a base line. I think tastybrew.com has a calculator that will give the appropriate carbonation level relative to style and also compensate for different types of sugar.

The other major factor that effects overcarbonation would be if you fermentation was still relatively active.

Did you measure OG and FG. Two weeks is on the shorter side to get the beer into bottles. When everything goes well, and the beer is low gravity that is fine. Bigger beers take much longer.

Check out the Marabuzo's Imperial stout recipe, in the recipe section under stouts. This may give some insight to how long some beers take...or better yet visit the mead and sour beer forums.

If you are looking for a quick turn around, try a pale ale or bitter in the 1.035-1.045 OG range. These types of beer can be really quick, even when conditions are not perfect.

The biggest thing to keep in mind with priming calculators is that the priming sugar is measure by weight,not volume. That's the standard for measuring it. I got a small digital scale at Walmart for $20. It measures up to 10lbs,& measures pounds,kilograms,grams,& ounces. Cheap insurance for getting it precise every time. Makes designing carbonation levels fun & easy. And isn't that why we like home brewing?

unionrdr said:
The biggest thing to keep in mind with priming calculators is that the priming sugar is measure by weight,not volume. That's the standard for measuring it. I got a small digital scale at Walmart for $20. It measures up to 10lbs,& measures pounds,kilograms,grams,& ounces. Cheap insurance for getting it precise every time. Makes designing carbonation levels fun & easy. And isn't that why we like home brewing?

+1. The battery on my scale died prior to my last brew day. I felt lost without it.

OP, do a search online for priming calculators. They'll be able to tell you the proper amount of different types of sugars to use to reach certain amount of CO2 per volume. You may also want to read up on different carbonation levels for different beer styles.

Back