First Batch Tastes Disgusting.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanWadeOKC

Reaction score
The first batch that I have brewed tastes horrible. It was a munton wheat extract kit(the kind in the two cans). During the fermentation process I tried a little bit every week, generally it had the same taste from the first week. Now, the only difference is that it's cold and carbonated. Its very hard to drink witha strong "plasticy" taste. Not pleasant at all.

Here is a short summary of things that I have noticed i may have done wrong

I didn't boil that caps before bottling.
I didn't cool that wort all the way down before pitching the yeast (at most 100 degrees).
When i primed the beer before bottling it foamed over immediately.
did not use a hydrometer.

Things i did do...

Re-hydrated the yeast.
Boiled the extract.
Siphoned into carboy the after first week.
Bottle conditioned for two weeks.
Kept the temp around 68-73 degrees.

Any thoughts?

I just bottled a Terwebier and it has tasted a lot better during the fermentation process. I also started a Cooper's Lager.
I do not want the same results. Very disappointing.

Firstly I recommend you brew another batch. Sound reasonable so far?:mug:
Sounds to me like an infection.
Clean, sterilize an rinse (unless you're using a no rinse sterilizer).
Get or make a wort chiller. That wort has to be in the temp range of the yeast you're using.
Ferment at the low end of the temp range of the yeast (room temp is too warm)
Get a hydrometer. You have no idea what's going on without one.
I ferment in a carboy, I've had too many infections in a bucket. I don't like to handle my beer any more than necessary. This is the reason I put it in a carboy and ignore it for 3 weeks.
Don't bottle any sooner than 3 weeks.
Brew another batch ASAP.

So many things to remember, aaaarrggghhh!!! Most important, focus on keeping your yeast happy.

I didn't cool that wort all the way down before pitching the yeast (at most 100 degrees).
When i primed the beer before bottling it foamed over immediately.

Pitching at high temps = off flavors. The primed foam is really kinda of weird to me. Probably have too much yeast in your brew and bottled too soon, maybe oxidized the beer when racking, who knows.

Reading through your post I noticed a couple major issues:

1. "I didn't cool that wort all the way down before pitching the yeast (at most 100 degrees)."

This is very bad, stresses out the yeast and can lead to any number of off-flavors. Make sure you cool to at least 75* before pitching your yeast.

2. "did not use a hydrometer.", "Siphoned into carboy the after first week."

Your hydrometer is the only way to tell when your beer is done fermenting. This is important, and with out getting into the secondary vs. no secondary debate, because you do not want to transfer the beer if fermentation is still going on, which at 1 week is very possible. The minimum before transfer is 3 reading of the same gravity over 3 day. At that point it is safe to say fermentation is most likely finished and the beer can be transferred. Also, airlock bubbles are not a valid sign of fermentation, only the hydrometer.

3. "Bottle conditioned for two weeks."

Beers should be given a MINIMUM 3 weeks at 70* to carbonate. Depending on the recipe, OG, etc. the carbonation period may be longer.

Just want to reiterate pitching at 100 degrees is not good for the yeast. This is probably the biggest uh-oh of the ones you described.

I would also recommend letting it primary for about 3 weeks, it will give the yeast time to "clean up" after themselves ( =better, cleaner tasting brews).

no one has mentioned that it was a wheat beer, and could cause issues.

what yeast did you use? it sounds like the ferm. temp could be a little high, no?

make a brown ale, and let this one age for 5 weeks if possible, less if necessary.

then have a beer, take notes, do it again.

"During the fermentation process I tried a little bit every week, generally it had the same taste from the first week."

Stop tasting it during fermentation, every time you taste it you risk contamination. Put it in the fermenter and leave it alone for a couple of weeks.

I siphoned every time. I really think this first batch was just a lack of knowledge of sanitation. I tried my best but overlooked a lot. Working to not make this another problem.

The first batch that I have brewed tastes horrible. It was a munton wheat extract kit(the kind in the two cans).

I wouldn't use a dried yeast at all, but some here claim that some
dried yeasts give good results (like safale). But who knows how
long that Munton's yeast has been sitting at room temperature?
It's a total crap shoot. Most of the yeast could be dead, it could
be contaminated from the drying process. I would recommend making
a starter with liquid yeast, and pitch actively fermenting yeast
into the wort. Any bacterial infection in the dried yeast or even
just on dust in the air settling in the beer will be an even bigger
problem at 100F. Just stick the carboy in some cold water in
the shower tub until the temp drops before pitching.
Jim:mug:

Let me say this at the outset. This is your first batch, so don't feel bad.

Now that said...

It was doomed before it got off the ground. My crime scene investigation work leads me to believe that you killed off most, if not all, of your yeast when you pitch onto 100+ degree wort. When it cooled, a bacterial infection took over, and then the "fat lady" sang her song.

Relax, and jump back on the saddle. You will be VERY pleased when you get it "bangin' on all cylinders".

People are making more of the pitch temp than is necessary. He said it was AT MOST 100 degrees. He should have rehydrated at 95-105* what is the difference? It would have dropped down to room temp prettey fast. The yeast won't die until 120, sure they can produce off flavors if they are up around 100 degrees but not THAT bad if the temp doesn't stay up there. I am willing to bet he got some sort of infection judging by the gushing when he primed. How long was the beer in secondary? Even if it is two weeks total, the fermentation should have been done, maybe the yeast didn't have time to clean up after themselves.

One week in primary, which didn't have much activity. Siphoned into secondary for another week and a day after I racked into the secondary there was a lot of activity. then i bottled. Also, the taste never really changed after the first week. Like I said I did try the beer each week, but it's not like i took a sip right out of the bucket. I tried a little of whats left over from racking. Now it has the same "plasticy" nasty taste but it was cooled and carbonated... :(. I need the bottles! it's been in the bottle for three weeks now. Im going to try one more bottle. if it is as disgusting as the first bottle I tried, I may dump it.

To clear things up about the pitch temp, I did not cool the wort or check the temperature... But i'm pretty sure it was around 80F to 90F DEFINITELY NOT OVER 100F...

Ok, this leads me to believe it was an infection. Also, leave it in primary for at least two weeks and secondary for at least two weeks. Bottle for 3 weeks minimum. If you need the bottles that badly, at least save a dozen of them and set them asside for a few months. You may love it then. It is still really young and another week may not get rid of that off flavor. What temp is the room where the bottles are? Around 70* is best for the leftover yeast to eat up the bad stuff.

One week in primary, which didn't have much activity. Siphoned into secondary for another week and a day after I racked into the secondary there was a lot of activity.

1st week: The lack of activity speaks to the non-viability of the yeast.(Whether the cause was temp or not.) Had the yeast been viable. you would have had activity within 12-24 hours.

2nd week: The high activity you speak of is the bacteria producing the gasses, not the yeast.

The important message in this thread is make sure you establish the desired organism early in the fermentation. If you have many days to weeks of no activity and then out of the blue a lot of activity, just throw it out. The bacteria has taken over.

:)

1st week: The lack of activity speaks to the non-viability of the yeast.(Whether the cause was temp or not.) Had the yeast been viable. you would have had activity within 12-24 hours.

2nd week: The high activity you speak of is the bacteria producing the gasses, not the yeast.

The important message in this thread is make sure you establish the desired organism early in the fermentation. If you have many days to weeks of no activity and then out of the blue a lot of activity, just throw it out. The bacteria has taken over.

:)

Don't just throw it out, taste it first...

Back