First batch started feed back please :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverendflash

Reaction score
I finally had a morning to get my first batch going, as many m, I am hoping this is a start of a new adventure which I am hoping will one day take me to mastering the All Day IPA recipe that I love from Founders.

But I would love feed back as I lay out what I did and why some things are happening.

First I used raw unpasteurized cider from a local orchard as we have one at every street corner here in Michigan. It is a touch tart up front but a nice sweet kick as well over all, but don't know the mix of apples. I used only a one gallon glass carboy and airlock, the yeast is wine yeast ,little blue packet, it was one that was recommended in the many articles I read. I boil sanitized all my utensils the carboy I used touch of bleach and water as I read in another article. I did somewhat pasteurize my cider I did heat it to 165 degrees I did not take it to 180 for 45 as read in one article as I worried of it hitting a boil l, I did just up to 165 then put the pan in the freezer till it dropped to 80 degrees.I read this will take care of bacteria concerns of raw cider. I pitched my yeast for 1 gallon which is 1/5 or the packet (temp was 78 degrees at this point). I pitched it by adding it to the carboy after preping the yeast according to the instructions and then adding the juice after it added slowly not alot of "sloshing around", I put I my airlock and have it now setting in the basement which is touch cooler 60-65 degrees. Now here I am home from work about 14 hours later and I am a little surprised to see it chugging pretty good really thought it would be about 24 hours, but it seems I am getting bubbles released every 15 seconds or so already and some good action In the jug and already some denser sediment at the bottom and a foam on top? Is this normal for it to start so quick?

Thanks for taking the time to read and any feed back or things to watch for based I what I have done.

Yes its quite normal especially with warmer solutions to begin ferment quickly.

I don't think you did anything wrong from reading the above. Some things I always do differently then what you did, that are not right or wrong. I never use bleach on anything I intend on drinking. I like to take hydrometer/refractometer readings to get an idea of what to expect I don't think you mentioned if you did that or not.

Finally my preference, I never heat the cider, I make a starter on a stir plate and I pitch it into cold cider and let the yeasts do as much as they can on the the low end of the temperature spectrum.

No wrong way to make a cider imho. Finally I always rack fresh cider onto the lees of the first batch to save time and money and possibly to gain a better understanding of future flavor developments in yeast cultures.

If I were to make any suggestions at all it would be to use SanStar or PBW instead of bleach when cleaning your vessels.

Ditto on the bleach - ick. Typically we wash everything with an oxidizing cleaner like One-Step, rinse thoroughly with clean water, then sanitize with Star San. If you're going to continue on the path, you'll want to acquire those items. Also a siphon and a few other things.

Heat pasteurizing is generally avoided because it can change the juice. We use a small amount of potassium metabisulfite (campden tablet) to kill bacteria in unpasteurized juice.

And ya, you'll want a hydrometer. Specific gravity numbers tell you how fermentation is progressing.

A wine yeast rehydrated and pitched into 78° cider can easily start fermenting in just a few hours. Congrats - you've entered the vortex.

If I don't hear the cider is just adding the brown sugar at normal temps ok or any other honey or sugars I attempt to add. Thank you in the feed back I did rinse the crap out of it after the bleach but now that I think of it isn't that counter productive to sanitizing lol. Also is this type one you can leave sit on the self I was going to try and get a carbonated cider and then pasteurize as I have read here once I achieve the right fizz. Appreciate the feed back I am going to be getting a hydrometer this week. But I won't have a up front reading to go by obviously. Thanks agin :)

Fresh orchard cider typically will produce about 6.5% alcohol after fermentation. I suggest that you not add any honey or sugar for your first batch and see how it comes out. Experiment when you're comfortable with the process.

Back