First batch of root beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
Because of some schedule stuff with work, I have had to cut down on my beer drinking so I started making soda. Figured I brew all grain I might as well do soda from scratch.

Started out with 5 1/2 gallons of water brought to a boil and added 1 3/4 ounces of sassafras root. Let that boil for about 30 min. Next I added 3 cups brown sugar, 2 cups sugar in the raw, and 2 cups splenda. Let that cool down and then added vanilla extract to taste.

Turned out great and was fast and easy to make.

You were able to get a rootbeer to taste right by just using sassafras?

I've got a pretty lengthy recipe that I use to make my root beer, but it turns out fantastic. A little sweeter than normal root beer (tastes like a root beer barrel candy) but perfect for floats.

I've had to use sassafras root, sarsaparilla root, cherry bark, licorice root, honey, cinnamon, vanilla, wintergreen, brown sugar, and a few other various things.

It's a little lighter tasting than commercial root beer. But besides that it taste just like the stuff you buy in the stores.

Back