First Batch of Concord Wine (newbie here)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planetb

Reaction score
I'm new to wine making and have been playing around with beer for about 2 years. I have 4 concord vines in my yard and it gave me around 80lbs of grapes this year. I have 57lbs still left in the freezer. I picked them a week ago and planning on doing another batch or two to mess around with. For my first batch I used around 36lbs of grapes. This should give me around 2 gallons of juice (and it did)

Here is my log :

Must started at 3pm 8/24/2013 :

Used Star San in bucket to san nylon bag and bucket.
Dumped out Star san/water mix after 10mins . added in
23lbs of grapes (Weight of bucket after putting all the grapes in)

SG Reading : 1.044

Waited 1 hour before adding water and Sugar to allow for the grapes to come up to room temp

8 cups of water (.5 gallons)

2lbs of sugar based off recipe and cal : http://www.brewersfriend.com/chaptalization-calculator/

Added about 20mins later :

Added 12oz of sugar. SC was still at 1.044.
Campden 2 tablets
Yeast Nutrient 2 tsp
Pectic Enzyme 1 tsp powder

9:55 Waited 8 hour, put added Yeast. Used 1/3 cup of water to rehydrate. . Waited 10mins in . Water at time was 80 degree water before putting into bucket. Room temp around 75

8/28 (Day 4) Check SG : Reading around 1.000
8/29 (Day 5) Racked into second bucket. Pressed bag by hand to remove juice.

8/31 racked into 2 1gallon glass bottles and 1 1/2gallon bottle. Put stoppers in and air locks filled with Star San.

9/1 bottles all active
9/2 bottles all active
9/3 bottles no longer showing any activity

So I'm sitting right now with pretty clear looking wine. I have not tested the SG yet. But was sitting below 1.000 when I racked into the glass bottles. There does not seem to be much activity if anything at all right now. Am I over reacting and just let it sit for the next 3 weeks at this point?

Thanks

John

Back