First Batch of Cider! Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atlarge

Reaction score
Greetings all!

I recently started my first batch of cider (first fermentation project, actually!!). Originally, I was going to do the Apfelwein recipe posted on homebrewtalk, but my local home brew store didn't have the correct yeast for the recipe. So, at the recommendation of the sales guy, I improvised.

Here's what I'm working with:

2.5 gallons of Trader Joe's apple juice (100% juice)
1 packet of Lavlin QA23 yeast

The guy at the shop suggested I only ferment for 5-6 days, or else it would get vinegary. However, the apfelwein recipe suggests at least two weeks of fermentation? It's only been 24 hours, and the airlock is already bubbly.

My question is, how long should I let it ferment before I transfer the juice/cider? Should I wait for the bubbles in the airlock to subside? I'd love to hit 7%, though I don't have a hydrometer so how would I know (no biggie)?

Since this is my first time fermenting/brewing, I'm just trying to get a feel for the process. Any tips/insights/words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

B

If you don't mind a dry cider, just leave it in the carboy until it finishes fermenting and falls clear. Just about any wine yeast will take apple juice with an S.G of 1.05 or so down to .99x without any trouble at all.

Go 10 days and take a reading, also check the activity in the airlock.

If you have a FG decently above 1 and their is airlock activity, it needs to go longer.

I would say two weeks is a rough estimate though for cider. Depends on temperature, juice, nutrients, and yeast.

The guy at the shop suggested I only ferment for 5-6 days, or else it would get vinegary.

Best of luck, hopefully, unless something has gone horribly wrong with sanitizing, you shouldn't end up with any vinegar flavours even if you leave it for much much longer than that.

Back