First Batch - metallic citrusy flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostDogBeer

Reaction score
I'm a newbie. Looking for some advice here. Thanks all for checking this thread out.

I just bought the True Brew kit complete with carboy fermenter and a bunch of accessories from my local home brew shop. I also bought an "American Wheat" extract kit to try my inaugural brew.

I used bottled spring water, by the way.

I followed the instructions meticulously including sanitation. After 9 days of fermenting and 7 of conditioning in the bottle I decided to chill one and try it.

Carbonation was great and color too. However, there is a strange "metallic" almost citrusy flavor - very ascorbic. Could this be from using a brand new professional grade stock pot purchased from Sams Club?

My guess is that it is just green. I doubt you got any metallic off a new pot. Its probably just acetaldehyde combined with the American hops. Leave it alone for a couple weeks and try another one.

I followed your link and the "Acetaldehyde" description almost perfectly fits what I was tasting. It was sort of citrusy but really kind of a "tart" flavor - like a metallic or green apple flavor. I'll keep conditioning for another week and drop an update out there. Thanks again for your input!

Latest posts

Back