First batch is a Brewing (Apfelwein)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usul

Reaction score
First batch of https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/man-i-love-apfelwein-14860/ is now underway. Ty for all of ur help in my previous thread, GREAT INPUT, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/poor-mans-list-293201/

Our final item list came up to this
4 X 5 gallon buckets (donated used from a local home brewer)
2 X Store bought Airlocks
1 X Racking Cane
1 X Table Top bottle capper (bought from e-bay $15+$15 shipping)
2 X 2 foot sections of clear tubing
1 X valve (to make a bottling bucket)
1 X containter of StarSan
1 X no rinse soap
1 X Digital thermometer w/ probe
1 X Hydrometer
plus brewing ingredients

Total came up to $70, slightly more than a basic home start up kit, but we have some beter stuff than comes in those

We are expecting Edwort's reciepe to be a bit dryer than we prefer, but plan to back sweeten with honey or cane sugar (we do not want to use artificial sweeteners, or lactose) so our plan is to test every 2 days to check carbonation :mug: and once it is as carbonated as we want, to then pasturize by bringing a pot of water to 190 degrees F cutting power and then letting bottles sit in the water for 10 mins, got that from a post, but i can't find it now to link. Using used bottles for our batch, (primarily Samual Adams). Taking any advice out there, this is our first batch ever, so really excited!!!!

There are a few problems with your technique, if you do the way you described you'll likely end up with bottle bombs. First you won't be able to back sweeten with corn sugar or honey and carbonate the beer unless you're kegging. The reason is the yeast will eat both your back-sweetened addition as well as your priming sugar. There is no reason to pasteurize ed worts recipe, its unnecessary.

You would need to add potassium sorbate to essentially kill the remaining yeast from consuming your back sweetened addition of honey or corn sugar. In doing so you would not be able to carbonate your beer in bottles by standard bottle conditioning. You would need to keg to carbonate your apfelwein if this was your technique.

Alternatively what I do is add some splenda to the priming solution to allow for back sweetening and providing carbonation by doing bottle conditioning. Splenda isnt fermentable so wont effect the carbonation while provide a sweeter finished product.

Backsweetening and carbonating in bottles is really, really difficult. Bryan is absolutely right, if you don't time things to the nose and control that fermentation you could end up with exploding bottles.

The method that I like for bottled Apfelwein is to make it dry and carbonate it in the bottle as you would a beer. When you serve, add a bit of 7-UP to taste to the glass. It will add just a bit of sweetness, a bit more fizz, and doesn't water things down too much. Yum.

If you find yourself starting to make more Apfelwein, or any other kind cider, splurge a little and keg it. So much easier.

ksorbate or kmeta will prevent you from bottle carbing.

backsweeten with an inverted/nonfermentable sugar and don't over do it with the priming sugar and it will be all fine...except for that nasty sediment at the bottom of your bottle.

you don't need to back sweeten in the glass. its clumsy and unprofessional. plus, if you were going to back sweeten with a liquid...why not use apple juice. introducing lemon-lime soda to apple cider means you have fruit punch, not apple cider.

the other alternative is to force carb but that requires a CO2 tank. force carbing and be done in a PET bottle or with a keg. I am up to kegging now because I hated carbing 23 1L bottles, but its not that bad and the carb caps were a few bucks.

that said...if you must use glass bottles and regular sugar to both back sweeten and prime...don't be afraid of pasteurization. most people that say it is hard never tried it. it isn't hard...just follow a few simple rules you will find on the guide here and you'll have great carbed cider that's back sweetened because you will have killed the yeast.

Ed Worts Apfelwein become quite sweet with age. Mine will sit for 6 months before I start to drink it. It is a sweet apple wine. To sweeten before bottling I use "wine conditioner"; usually 2 1/2 oz. for 5 gallons. IF I carbonate, I will only use champagne bottles with the plastic cork and wire, they are designed to take and relieve the pressure when carbonated. They look pretty classy too. Wine conditioner is a syrup designed for back sweetening wines & ciders, it is non fermentable. Cheers" usul "and enjoy.:)

Oh i forgot to mention, we are going to flavor half of the batch with some hot damn ( bottle half the batch, then add the liquor to the bottling bucket befor bottling the second half) will let u guys know how it tastes.

thanks for the tips, I love this site, many different views are always given :)

you don't need to back sweeten in the glass. its clumsy and unprofessional. plus, if you were going to back sweeten with a liquid...why not use apple juice. introducing lemon-lime soda to apple cider means you have fruit punch, not apple cider.

Not really. Mixing Apfelwein with lemon soda, club soda or mineral water is just another way of consuming it, and a pretty standard mix for it in Germany. I like this method for it's options as well. I've made loads of Apfelwein and almost always make it dry, and often still. It gives you more serving options.

Each to his own, I suppose, but don't be afraid of mixing flavours. Ever have a Shandy? A Black and Tan?

Back