First Batch! HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielntrujillo

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Glad to be a part of HomeBrewTalk and I hope I am posting this correctly in the right place.

I do have a simple question that I have so far received two answers for and I would like to know which is correct.

First of all I am currently fermenting my first batch of a Guinness stout clone.

The dealer that I purchased the kit from says that I should ferment for about ten days. but, a friend of mine that has been brewing for some time now says that I should let it ferment for at least two weeks.

I would really hate to mess up my first batch so, can someone share their opinion with me about how long they think I should ferment for?

Thank you for your valuable time. Danny

There is no "correct" answer that you must follow. After a week to ten days take a gravity reading every day and when you get the same reading twice the fermentation is complete so you could bottle it BUT the yeast is still cleaning things up and it definitely will not hurt the beer to leave it in primary for a few more weeks. When doing a stout I leave it in PV for a minimum of three weeks

Hi there, I'm a fairly newer brewer myself with around one year of experience. From what I have done myself, and what I've read here in the past, leaving your beer in the fermenter for 14 days harms absolutely nothing. In my own opinion, I'd leave it that long as well. I usually leave everything in the primary for 7 days, and then secondary for an additional 7. That way I am certain that fermentation has completed. However, I usually make lower gravity beers, like ales.

As cooldood said, let the beer tell you when it's done rather than aiming for an exact schedule. The krausen should fall and the beer should clear up, and then as mentioned gravity readings should be stable when checked twice a few days apart. New brewers rarely get into trouble from waiting too long.

However, I usually make lower gravity beers, like ales.

As opposed to those barleywines and imperial stouts. Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;)

cooldood said:
There is no "correct" answer that you must follow. After a week to ten days take a gravity reading every day and when you get the same reading twice the fermentation is complete so you could bottle it BUT the yeast is still cleaning things up and it definitely will not hurt the beer to leave it in primary for a few more weeks. When doing a stout I leave it in PV for a minimum of three weeks
+1
I dont use secondaries anymore. I let my beer chill in the carboy for at least 14 days if it is an ale. Check the Sg. If its on par with where i need to be, either begin cold crash for keg or start bottling.

Just leave it in the primary for 3-4 weeks and you will be all good. I, Personally, don't move anything into a secondary fermentor unless I am adding additional flavors after the PF is done. My beer comes out with great clarity and I don't have more to clean up.
Cheers

All the above works well, however you can leave it on the trub too long. Typically, 2-3 weeks will always be fine, but after that be checking the sg. Also, when it comes to transferring to a secondary, you run the risk of oxygenation. Ensure if you do transfer to a secondary, minimize oxygenating, go slow, and only use a carboy as close to the size of the amount of liquid you have. Some people utilize plastic (pet) containers and have great success however there are thoughts out there that the plastic lets air in through permeation? Also if you do use plastic, keep it as close to the size of your liquid as possible to minimize the risk of oxygen getting in or sitting on the wort, the reason most transfer it after the first week or two. (still giving off co2) hope this helps

Somewhat depends on your OG though. Since its a Guinness clone I'm guessing the OG is pretty big. That being the case I've understood you should go primary for at least 14-days then bulk age in a secondary for at least 1-month (if not longer). If it's not a big beer like a stout or porter and you don't plan to bulk age just leave it in the primary 3 weeks or so.

Since you asked for an opinion, here's mine. I think you should leave this beer in the primary fermenter for 10 weeks.:p

Notice that this opinion is partly "tongue in cheek" and partly correct. The one beer that I left in primary for 9 weeks turned out very good and it was ready to drink (no green beer flavors) in only one week in the bottle because it had matured in the fermenter instead of in the bottles. That amount of time also let more yeast settle out so my bottles had such a small amount of settled yeast that it was hard to see. It's really hard to leave a beer too long in the primary fermenter because most of us get impatient and want to drink our production.

Guiness isn't a big beer. It's only about 5%. so check it in two weeks for FG. If it's done fermenting,give it another 3-7 days to settle out clear or slightly misty before bottling. It'll also clear up in the bottles in a couple of days.

Back